Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping your own ram for a small flock  (Read 2850 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Keeping your own ram for a small flock
« on: June 01, 2018, 07:04:13 pm »
Can any of you with small flocks explain the logistics behind keeping your own ram? Trying to work out the options for keeping a ram for a small amount of ewes (20 or so), and whether it’s economically viable to keep 2 as company for each other and use both at tupping in 2 groups (probably not) or what to do if I just have 1 ram. I’d prefer not to hire in or keep wethers as company. I keep going round and round in circles working out different scenarios  :roflanim:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 07:06:41 pm by twizzel »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Keeping your own ram for a small flock
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 07:11:53 pm »
Two is a good idea.  Put them with one half of the ewes then when the daughters are ready, they go with the other tup and their mums stay with the original.  You can keep going for a while that way for pedigree breeding and even longer if for meat.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 07:27:21 pm »
Currently running purebred and first cross Lleyns. I want to start breeding replacements so a Lleyn ram is top of the list- and possibly keep a terminal ram as company, either Texel or Charollais. A flock of 20 ewes probably doesn’t warrant 2 rams but it’s the only logical way I can see having my own ram would work. I can’t see the point of having a wether friend for it, would rather have something that earns its keep?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 07:30:21 pm »
what about a vasectomised one .... get lambing nice and close together .... work for me :)
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 08:05:07 pm »
Yes that’s the other idea...  :thinking:

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 11:08:20 am »
(I can’t see the point of having a wether friend for it, would rather have something that earns its keep?)

With my  Castlemilk Moorits I used to change the wether each year and eat the older one, so it still earned it's keep
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 07:54:13 am by nimbusllama »

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 12:37:46 pm »
I have gone the 2 rams route, with a bit of an age gap to help changeovers. The economics in a small flock are different so some aspects just have to be managed.

Twotwo

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 02:21:59 pm »
 I started with 5 ewes, now I have 12 ewes and 2 rams.
I hired for the first year, then kept one ram lamb and bought a ram lamb. So they are mates( most of the time!) and bought a few extra ewes. My home bred ram lamb went in with 3 new ewes, the bought in one with  other new ones and the original ewes.
This will work for another year maybe two, then I’ll buy another ram and hopefully sell or swap my home bred ram. But it is a hobby and I don’t have to make a living from them.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 03:17:59 pm »
when I had just a few sheep I would borrow a ram from a friend... if this is not an option and you want your own you could get a ram lamb and eat him after he has done the job! Lots of people do this, some might say that the ram lamb will have a smell but I never found this to be the case. Others with small flocks keep the ram in with the ewes year round, personally I like to know when everything is going to lamb so I would not do this but it may work for you! Lots of solutions though :)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 05:28:18 pm »
Thanks, think we are going to go down the 2 rams route- 1 for breeding replacements and 1 for terminal meat lambs. Then bar buying in a ram every couple of years I can close the flock  :thumbsup: 

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 07:48:07 am »
I've never had a problem keeping a Ram (or Two) with a flock of 20-30.

Ram(s)  go in with ewes in September and can stay with them all winter, while they lamb and right up till weaning. I put my Rams out with the weaned lambs then. They stay there right up till I need to separate the Ewe and Ram lambs, then they are separated off with the Ram Lambs. Then in Sept back in with the ewes

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS