Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sour crop  (Read 3335 times)

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
Sour crop
« on: August 28, 2010, 11:37:31 pm »
I've lost two birds in the past 2 weeks to what i think is sour crop. Theres plenty of advice on the web about how to treat it but i found that the sick birds die within 24 hours of me seeing them unwell.
Is there a regime that i can put in place to help prevent sour crop- apple vinegar on a regular basis. I am looking for a prevention is better than cure type result.

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
Re: Sour crop
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 08:41:03 am »
Make sure they have access to grit - this helps them digest the food in their crop.
Have they got access to long grass? Long grass is more difficult for them to digest and can be a cause, they need short grass.
Many use apple cider vinegar on a regular basis to aid digestion and as a general tonic.

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 02:45:48 pm »
my mum lost a few birds this year to sour crop  was weeding the garden all the long grass etc chucked in te run chickens ate it then died found out it was the long grass so cut that out and no more probs so far

CarolW

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 09:26:49 pm »
Hi I'm sorry I don't know how to help, we lost a chook to sour crop 2 weeks ago, tried everything but as you say she only lasted 24 hours.
Hope someone has an answer just in case it happens again.
Carol

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 09:43:23 pm »

I wrote this a while back. The hen is still alive but I sometimes have to massage her crop as she still insists on eating long grass.

"After seeking advice I decided that my hen had "Sour Crop" so tried a number of things,none of which worked so I opted for surgery which my neighbour and I carried out in the garage. With a scalpel I cut a three inch slice into her crop. What we removed was remarkable! At least two pounds in weight of matted long strings of grass and other rubbish. We then tried to superglue the wound together but it wouldn't stick so I ended up stitching it up with purple sewing cotton. The hen seems chirpier then we have seen her for a long time although I have had to fashion a collar( something like you see dogs wearing when they come from the vets) to stop her pecking at the wound!
now 4 days on I am considering putting her back with the others. What do you think?"

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 10:06:51 pm »
 :o, wow, Sheila, can I give you a call should I ever get this with my birds?? :) Plenty of long grass about... :chook:

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 08:28:40 am »
This is a bit worrying.  I have been feeding my turkey poults who are still indoors handfuls of long grass I pick from the field.  I do remove the brown roots and just give them the green.  Can turkeys get this illness?

Garvo UK

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Essex
    • Garvo UK
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 04:13:45 pm »
Hello,

Cider vinager twice a week at the rate of 5ml per ltr is good. if that fails then a product called Colinol Plus made by DHP is brilliant, it is herbal but treats e-Coli and many other bacteria

Hope this helps,

Jonathan
Producing Professional feeds for 125years

TG

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 01:04:26 pm »
We have had two cases of sour crop. can't remember where the remedy came from but it seems to have worked..
Hold chicken and tip forward while massaging crop to get all the liquid out.
Mix live yoghurt with crushed layers pellets and I use a small syringe to get it down.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS