Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New Gosling with Weak Legs  (Read 4574 times)

Em121

• Joined Oct 2017
New Gosling with Weak Legs
« on: May 30, 2018, 01:09:14 pm »
Hello! I have managed - for the very first time - to hatch (or our geese have cleverly hatched!) three goslings. Two seem fine, but the third, who arrived on Monday afternoon, can't stand up. He looks like Bambi on Ice! We kept an eye on his hatching and he seemed to be being ignored by mum. He was left lying on his own in the straw and not moving for a good hour so we picked him up and popped him in a box on top of the boiler as it started getting dark. I've been giving him drops of sugar water but he won't/can't eat anything and won't/can't drink anything of his own accord.

His head is a bit floppy but he chirps a lot and is much perkier than Monday! His feet and legs seem cold. Is this normal. He paddles his legs if you hold him up.

Any advice gratefully received.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: New Gosling with Weak Legs
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 01:16:06 pm »
He will need a heat source he can go under. In a box so he can move away from it too. What are you feeding him? Grass is what they love and proper goose crumbs rather than chick crumbs. Plain water and dip his beak in it.  Sounds like he got cold and that weakened him. Putting him on the boiler wouldn't really have warmed him through.

If you can get him going it is very likely the goose will have him back.

Em121

• Joined Oct 2017
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 01:22:40 pm »
OK thank you. I keep popping a hot water bottle in a blanket under him too and the top of our boiler gets warm  - and the room is warm - so I'm sure that works. We use that room for drying clothes so I know it's always toasty.

He has a dish of breadcrumbs and chick crumbs in milk (I read that is good?) and some plain water but hasn't touched either.

The other two, who arrived a day before Douglas, are following their parents around the meadow quite happily so seem streaks ahead in terms of development :-(

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 01:30:06 pm »
We have got several chicks, ducks and turkeys under lamps at the moment. It is so warm at the moment they are very often not under the lamp. He needs the option of moving away from the heat too. You could be cooking him.

Your other goslings will be eating grass like no tomorrow. Not milk and not breadcrumbs. Chick crumbs will do but crumbs for waterfowl are a better choice.

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 07:16:46 pm »
In preparation for our duck eggs hatching I'd been looking at what feed they need and read that waterfowl should not be given chick crumb containing a coccidiostat as they eat more than hen chicks and overdose. So depends which chick crumb you have.

Bobie

• Joined May 2018
  • Essex
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 12:01:33 pm »
Deffo pop him under a heat lamp or try putting him back with mother goose.

I always get another egg and give them the yolk if poorly, as this will have all the nutrients in it he will need first.
He will need water, just use a pipette in the corners of his beak. I wouldn't give milk or sugar, I have never heard of that before!
I do hope he makes it, let us know x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS