Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how do I make a bessom?  (Read 2713 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
how do I make a bessom?
« on: August 28, 2010, 08:42:06 pm »
Hi There, :wave:

can anyone tell me how to make bessom \ broom? I seem to go through them at a rate and would like start making my own rather than shell out 6 quid a time at the garden centre.

;D

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
Re: how do I make a bessom?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 11:39:45 pm »
I should think there are plenty of better explanations than mine , but here is how I do it.

Best stuff to use is birch twigs cut in winter when the sap is down and the leaves are gone. I have used hazel twigs and a few others depending on what I had around . I either use Ash or Hazel for the handle , again depending on what you have about .
First collect a bundle of twigs cut to the size you want the broom head to be . Then I use galvanized fencing wire to tie it up into a bundle . You collect the twigs into a nice tight bundle and then wrap the wire 2 or 3 times around the thick ends a few inches from the very end . Twist the ends of  wire together very tight , so as to really tighten the twigs all together . Then move along the twigs 2 or 3 inches and do the same again , remember to make the bundle as tight as possible , I mean really really tight , then do it a third time. You can use split fresh cut willow or ash to do this , but I always break them trying . Tuck the twisted ends into the head , after trimming if needed.
Next you get whatever you are using for the handle, and peel off the bark if you haven't already done so . You can leave it on if you want to , but I find it can make your hands sore if you use it with the bark on . Anyway , make the handle the right length for you , and sharpen one end , like a pencil .
That end is then placed as near the center of the thick top end of the broom head as possible . You then just knock it in . Easiest way I found was to push it in by hand first , then turn it upside down , so the end of the handle is nearest the floor , and holding the broom head where the wire is , lift and tap the handle on the floor , thus knocking the pointy end into the broom head .
 You can then either knock a 2" or so nail through the handle and the broom head between the rows of wire , or drill a small hole through the handle and knock a wooden 2-3" pin through ( like a thinnish pencil ). Knocking the handle in the head should make an already very tight head even tighter , and the pin or nail will stop the head from falling off.  Job done ....
  Thats how I make them , and they work fine .
Hope it helps ...

cheers
Russ
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 11:50:30 pm by RUSTYME »

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 08:34:32 am »
And does it fly well?  ;)

I think I shall try this - your explanation is good.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 08:46:47 pm »
Thanks Russ,

thats great ;D I'm going to make it my weekend project.

Samantha

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Bristol
    • Merry Meet
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 12:14:04 pm »
LOL contrary to popular belief .. and apart from being used to play quiddige  ;) .. the besom is used for clearing stagnent energies (also inside the house) .. hold the broom above the floor and litterally sweep the air and brush it out the door.. it's great to do in the spring .. sweeping out all those winter blues.. while sweeping simply imagine all negativity being brushed out the door leaving you with with the clean space for more positive energy to come in :)

Sam :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS