Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep and goat tags  (Read 1808 times)

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
Sheep and goat tags
« on: May 29, 2018, 09:01:34 pm »
I have tried finding the answer online with no luck.
I have EID tags for the lambs when they go to slaughter, and I will be selling my goat kids in a few weeks, they are going to pet homes.  My goats and sheep share the same herd number - can I use the EID tags for the goats or do I need another type?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Sheep and goat tags
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 09:06:14 pm »
Yes, if these are breeding tags rather than slaughter tags (used on lambs under 12months old and for slaughter only).

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 06:54:11 am »
There's a national computer register of what tags you've had for your sheep and goats.
You need separate ones.

The first tags I bought were for goats but the company didn't record them as such which caused later confusion.

Your best ordering some for goats.  Twin non EID.

Big Mat

• Joined May 2016
  • King's Lynn, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 10:34:24 am »
I've never been told about separate goat and sheep tag databases, both of them use the same herd number! We've got single eid ones for the goats as it's easier on slaughter animals

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 11:48:23 am »
There's a national computer register of what tags you've had for your sheep and goats.
You need separate ones.

The first tags I bought were for goats but the company didn't record them as such which caused later confusion.

Your best ordering some for goats.  Twin non EID.

I just order one lot of tags and use whichever is next for the goats or sheep. Never had a problem…, but some people do have separate goat and sheet flock numbers, then obviously you will need separate tags as well. And you can use EID tags for goats, it is optional. Why spend extra money, if you already have the tags...

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 05:50:42 pm »
That's great to know, thanks for your help.
I have breeding tags and slaughter tags so it's fine.
We bought some tags for the goats last year which were the standard plastic tags, one in each ear, but I can't find them anywhere!

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 05:21:37 am »
Oh well, different peoples experience, that's what I was told, that they were recorded separately and I shouldn't use the sheep ones for goats.
Caused problems as I had animals with the same individual numbers, nobody could tell the difference or read UK070.... and UK70.... as different.
I've the same flock / herd number but after trading standards and the abattoir recorded goats as sheep a few times I now have goat numbers starting 400..
would have been easier just to use the same ones.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 06:16:22 pm »
I haven't seen anywhere on the gov guidance / laws or on the supplier web sites to say they cannot be the same. If Defra have provided one flock number for goats and sheep (as I have) then they are the same tags.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS