Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shearlings or Ewe Lambs?  (Read 1631 times)

thesuffolksmallholding

• Joined Jan 2017
Shearlings or Ewe Lambs?
« on: May 28, 2018, 09:44:01 pm »
Hi,
Just want a general consensus of opinion. Expanding my pedigree flock, travelling down to a breeder to buy some more ewes. BUT do I buy lambs or shearlings?

SOOOOO.... opinions please???

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Shearlings or Ewe Lambs?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 10:32:54 pm »
Lambs are probably better value for money. I tend to buy shearlings though as trying to increase flock numbers and a quicker return on your investment with shearlings.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 11:50:50 pm »
Are there any older ewes on offer?

I watched our old ewes fart out lambs and lick them off this year like it was just oh so easy. First timers need a lot more attention, and are more likely to have difficulties.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 01:06:00 am »
Have a look and see what you like the most for the best price is my motto. If the ewe lambs look just as good as the shearlings but you can get 4 ewe lambs vs 2 shearlings for the same price then that's the key. Thats how I would decide, they may have some older ewes at a knock down price and if they are sound that would be a good deal too!

Its always so exciting going off to buy new animals! Let us know what you take home with you :D

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 12:32:52 pm »
Ewe lambs

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 09:12:39 pm »
All bar one of mine were bought as lambs - I find they do better for having a year empty to adjust to the land, routine, etc before going to the tup. The only older one I bought was awful for the first year I had her, slightly better last year and this year is finally looking how I like her (at 6 years old) whereas the ones I bought as lambs which are now shearlings and 3 year olds are cracking and always have been.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS