Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Daysdrove abattoir  (Read 2772 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Daysdrove abattoir
« on: August 28, 2010, 06:38:31 pm »
We are planning to send our pigs for slaughter to Daysdrove abattoir in Bishop's Castle, Shropshire.

I think it's recently been taken over and given a bit of a revamp. They seemed very helpful on the phone and take pigs on Mondays.

Anybody had any experience of Daysdrove?

Susanna

We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
Re: Daysdrove abattoir
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 09:27:50 pm »
Yes, we have taken a three pigs there in the last few weeks, they are very good at receiving the pigs - very calm - handle the paperwork easily always have spare copies at hand!  One pig they butchered beautifully, the larger pig not so beautifully and have taken a while to deliver bacon/carcass to local butcher. The also forgot to give us our trotters and hocks but they delivered them free of charge the next working day.  I feel they work better if given detailed instruction on the butchering required, they also know a local butcher and delivers to him, who does great dry cure bacon if you need it  :)

onnyview

• Joined Dec 2009
    • onnyview free range produce
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 04:40:30 pm »
We've used them for both lamb and pigs and they have been very good. We always give a full breakdown of what's required for butchering and the presentation afterwards has been much better than other abbatiors we've used in the past. Thumbs up for us.

I notice they have put up a seperate price for slaughtering sows now. ;)
Onnyview free range produce- Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs, Hill Radnor and Llanwenog sheep.

www.onnyview.moonfruit.com

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 04:50:40 pm »
hmmm...I did request they displayed the different prices on the website as when I received the bill for the last sow we took it was £35 and we only expected £20! Overall we are pleased with them and due to use them again shortly.  How are those beautiful piglets doing onnyview?  :pig:

onnyview

• Joined Dec 2009
    • onnyview free range produce
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 09:12:55 pm »
hmmm...I did request they displayed the different prices on the website as when I received the bill for the last sow we took it was £35 and we only expected £20! Overall we are pleased with them and due to use them again shortly.  How are those beautiful piglets doing onnyview?  :pig:

Those little piglers are looking like little barrels! All still present and correct with a couple looking very promising. :wave:
Onnyview free range produce- Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs, Hill Radnor and Llanwenog sheep.

www.onnyview.moonfruit.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS