Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hens and herbs - advice sought  (Read 1823 times)

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
hens and herbs - advice sought
« on: May 28, 2018, 08:39:50 am »
I have built a raised bed to become a new herb garden, about 2' 6" / 70cm square, but I don't know what to do re: defence from chooks. I would much appreciate any ideas on the least intrusive protection measure(s) needed to stop the hens despoiling it.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: hens and herbs - advice sought
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 01:04:45 pm »
Either shut them up or somehow else - netting/whatever make it inaccessible to them. I am sure they will greatly appreciate this new area of  freshly turned earth as a dust bath. :excited:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 01:58:20 pm »
My raised beds are all in the poultry section of my land.  They are about 2 and ahalf feet high and have posts at each corner for netting to be stapled all round and over the top.  Used green netting so it blends in.  Chooks stay out of these but I have left one open for them to have dust baths
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

docsal

• Joined Feb 2017
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 02:09:54 pm »
I have adopted a very pragmatic approach in our walled garden - we have 2 'pet' chooks who live there but free range over the whole 4 acres (and beyond). Our main flock is in the orchard.
The pet chooks in the garden - if they eat something I simply grow something else. We pretty quickly reach a happy equilibrium. Oddly they don't eat the herbs, only occasionally peck at greens but we do net off berries when in fruit. I think the free range fodder outwith the garden is their preferred option!

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 09:22:06 pm »
thanks that's very useful. The netting idea should work well - I assume the top bit isn't stapled, so I can get in to pick the herbs...? Fortunately they already have their preferred dust bath area elsewhere, but I'll keep a close eye on what they do and don't go for in the nascent veg patch, so I'm going with the chicken flow and not against it!  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS