Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping the girl(s) barren  (Read 1706 times)

Christian

• Joined Jun 2012
Keeping the girl(s) barren
« on: May 26, 2018, 10:38:36 am »
Hi Folks,
we've just had a slightly complicated delivery (all good in the end, but it was touch and go for the kidds) and the vet recommended not to breed her again. Easier said than done, since our 4-yeear old boar billy tends to go through  walls when nature calls.  Given that we want to keep the girl (she's got pet-status) and the billy, is there a way to sterilize (?) an adult female goat?

Have fun,

Christian
Desperate Smallhoders, Jedburgh

Christian

• Joined Jun 2012
Re: Keeping the girl(s) barren
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 08:12:25 pm »
Oh no, Scarlet Dragon - he's our proud stud!

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 08:18:08 pm »
What was the complication and was it her first time? I've had animals (sheep cows goats and even a farm cat and an egg bound goose) with complicated deliveries go on to never have another problem and deliver many healthy babies. I would try again unless it was something actually wrong with her.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 09:29:02 pm »
I have heard of stiff leather "aprons" being used to prevent a male goat having his wicked way with females.

Christian

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 07:39:34 pm »
Hi Roddycm, she's had a couple of kiddings before - all gone fine. Vet told us that she's had fracture earlier of some bit of the pelvis (got a little technical there...) which dented her birth-canal. Probably been the billy having a wee bit too much of his wicked way. Apron sounds like the right thing - I'll have a google (not looking forward to what I'll find, though...).

Christian

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 07:56:52 pm »
Magic!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS