Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lemon Tree - to fruit or not to fruit?  (Read 2162 times)

nuteski

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Pontardawe
Lemon Tree - to fruit or not to fruit?
« on: May 23, 2018, 10:46:52 pm »
That is my question.

I have a container lemon tree that barely survived the transition from my old house to the smallholding a couple of years ago, in fact most of the growth died back and had to be pretty savagely pruned last year just to give it a chance of survival.

I've recently read that lemons won't fruit from suckers and am concerned that the only growth I now have are from suckers but am struggling to identify exactly where the graft line is on the tree.

Can anyone tell me if the bulge identifiable in the attached pic are where the graft occurred? I can't tell as I can't see a clear graft line, just the bulbous growth that I associate from grafting with our apples trees etc.

Thanks for your consideration and hopefully help in advance!

Alex
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 10:48:51 pm by nuteski »

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Re: Lemon Tree - to fruit or not to fruit?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 03:55:46 pm »
I live in a warmer climate and have a few lemon trees. I noticed that the bulge was the graft point for mine. I was slow to prune one of the trees and noticed that a shoot from below the bulge produced a couple of small tangerines!

On a separate but related to fruiting note, citrus love iron so I put a handful of metal shavings dug into the grounds around each plant and they thrive!! I get an incredible amount of fruit from them two or 3 times a year!

Love all citrus and will be planting pink grapefruit shortly!

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Lemon Tree - to fruit or not to fruit?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 04:13:54 pm »
I have several citrus but can't decide whether your 'bulge' is a graft point or not. A simple start would be to crush one of the shoot leaves and sniff it.. the smell usually identifies what citrus fruit it is since i don't think the rootstock has to be the  same as the grafted part... for instance i have a grapefruit that is on 'dwarfing' rootstock (no idea what).I can easily identify lemon, lime, orange or grapefruit by leaf smell alone.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS