Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What type of milking system?  (Read 2117 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
What type of milking system?
« on: May 21, 2018, 02:23:35 am »
What type of milking system do you think is the best/most efficient for around 20-25 goats?
Would twin cluster milking machine be enough?
Was thinking of something like this locking yoke below and a portable milking machine. How long do you think you would take milking this way?
https://www.farmfituk.com/agritubel-yokes/35-163-goat-self-locking-yokes#/70-type-2000mm_panel_for_goats/46-headspaces-5_headspaces
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: What type of milking system?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 11:36:17 am »
Any ideas??  :(
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 06:19:10 am »
The lack of replies probably means none of us have experience of milking more than a few goats individually by hand.
Sorry can't help.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 06:31:26 am »
Ok that's must be it.

Thanks

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 06:36:08 am »
You would need to get on touch with small-scale dairies… but I don't think a mobile cluster unit will be enough if you talk 20 to 25 goats...

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 09:04:27 am »
That's what I'm thinking. With a double cluster it would take you an hour and half to milk that many goats I assume...

Does anyone actually use a milking machine or just there own hands?

I'll ask the farm where I got my goats from as they milk around that many I believe (And use the milk to make soap! 10 acre smallholding and full time business btw!)
The problem is I don't know of any other small scale goat/sheep dairies.
There are some micro dairies milking cows but that's very different...

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 01:46:14 pm »
I would machine milk if I was going to go back into goats.

The teats stay nice and do not grow like when hand milked.
The milk is kept away from the air and airborn contamination.
It is easier to get relief milkers so that you can have a day away now and again as well.

The downside is the washing up and ensuring that the units are kept clean.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS