Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goslings hatched by hens  (Read 1680 times)

Jethro Tull

• Joined Jan 2014
Goslings hatched by hens
« on: May 27, 2018, 01:01:27 am »
After a number of failed attempts we finally hatched some goslings today, by incubating them under broody bantams.

Any tips about how to care for them from here?

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Re: Goslings hatched by hens
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 04:03:51 am »
I have reared many goslings under a hen... might be tricky with a bantam though if she is small. I always used large hens and they would take up to 5 quite happily!  Goslings are very easy to hand-rear and become very tame, you just need a heat lamp and the correct starter food... they also love greens :)

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 01:09:12 pm »
I have reared many goslings under a hen... might be tricky with a bantam though if she is small. I always used large hens and they would take up to 5 quite happily!  Goslings are very easy to hand-rear and become very tame, you just need a heat lamp and the correct starter food... they also love greens :)

No heat lamp, surely as they're under a hen. I'm presuming that you're going to let the bantams rear them, in which case, as mentioned, get some starter feed for them, which the hens can eat as well, and the hens will do the rest for you. 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 01:37:47 pm »
[quote author=roddycm link=topic=95275.msg690955#msg690955

No heat lamp, surely as they're under a hen. I'm presuming that you're going to let the bantams rear them, in which case, as mentioned, get some starter feed for them, which the hens can eat as well, and the hens will do the rest for you.

I was saying a heat lamp if the bantam is too small and they have to be hand reared ;) but yes if she can do the job then no need for a heat lamp! I've raised many under hens... mainly LF Sussex, Cochins and Brahmas though so size was not an issue. His lungs grow fast so a wee bantam may not be able to cover them for as long as they will need...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 12:48:36 pm by roddycm »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 01:55:10 pm »
I know it can be nervewracking for hens if they raise ducklings then they try to go into water - have heard hens gong mental beside our pond for that reason.  Does this not apply to geese?  Don't they go into water?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS