Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: food for free!!  (Read 8718 times)

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
food for free!!
« on: August 26, 2010, 10:57:39 pm »
this year there's tatties in th field next to my house & broccoli in the next one, there's so much left after they've harvested them especially the broccoli - why don't they put sheep on it?! - so i'll be having my own wee harvest & keep the chooks in mashed tatties & broccoli all winter! ;)

Sandy

Re: food for free!!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 11:28:41 pm »
One of our fellow smallholders said the field near them the farmer has potatoes and people keep stealing them!! I suppose if he has harvested them that would be great, I certainly would have them, I hardly ever come back from a dog walk without a bag of something.... :chook:well fed chickens then

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 11:36:16 pm »
there are so many left on the field after they've harvested them there's no need to steal them! Some are damaged but fine for chooks & lots of perfect ones. It's the broccoli that's wasted that I can't understand, dozens of perfectly good ones just left behind. Yes it's good coming back with a bag of eatables, which reminds me I'll have to start looking out for brambles soon! & mushrooms!

Sandy

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 11:56:46 pm »
We are keeping our eye on the rippening of the Brambles, still not there yet, some are a black but hard, when there out we will be too, only trouble is the are so thorny and they grab your legs!!!!!! We saw some people in the FOrest with baskets collecting some fungus or other and I hoped they knew what they were picking as I don't and thats for sure...lots of poinsonouse ones out there and of course the mind altering ones (my mind is altered enough ::))

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 02:51:59 am »
On our newest walk ther is a huge apple tree - well I think they are apples, but I'm such a scaredy pie I won't pick them in case they are poisonous, and if I tell anyone about them they'll get them, not me.  So I NEVER get any free food.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 07:01:05 am »
On our newest walk ther is a huge apple tree - well I think they are apples, but I'm such a scaredy pie I won't pick them in case they are poisonous, and if I tell anyone about them they'll get them, not me.  So I NEVER get any free food.
Okay, Snow White  ;)

We have Damson Trees on one of our walks, have had 6lb off them. Also oodles of Blackthorns all over the place. And an apple tree which we have always left because we have plenty of our own. But we may have to liberate some for cider this year as our trees are not heavy with fruit.

What I miss is peas. I used to go 'gleaning' with my mum back in the day before viners were introduced. I also used to pick peas for a local farmer as a teenager - good money.
And I will always remember the shout of "Get out of them peas!!" if the farmer saw us in the field on our way home from school.

Sonia in Cornwall

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Helston, Cornwall
  • Meet Blue - our little bundle of chaos
    • Going Stress Free - our personal mission
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 02:24:18 pm »
We've got brambles all round us, and last year I was stunned because we seemed to be the only ones picking them!  This year, the fields round us have been growing new potatoes - and because they harvest with big machines they miss LOADS.  We've had enough to stop us having to buy potatoes for ages - they literally leave the ones they miss to rot in the fields (or be played with by Blue when we forget to take a ball for him to play with). 

It's cauliflower season soon so there will be loads of them around to pick once the farmer's had what he's going to harvest.   ;D
"Often people attempt to live life backwards - they try to have more things, or more money, in order to do more of what they want, to be happier.  The way it really works is in reverse.  First be who you really are, then do what you need, in order to have what you want."  Margaret Young

Henstock

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 01:31:51 am »
I hardly ever come back from a dog walk without a bag of something

Like dog poo???!!!  :D :D :D

Sandy

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 10:41:18 am »
Like dog poo???!!!   
One place I find loads of different berries etc is a dog walking place and I nearly always stand in some >:(

I could go out with a rucksack at times as I collect stuff for the Chickens and my pair of Duckies, then any greenery and flowers for the house, food berries and things like wild garlic etc, pine cones, twigs for fire lighters and anything else I can carry, even boulders!!!!! (one day I will be thrown into prison ;))

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 02:34:07 pm »
Okay, Snow White  ;)

Just redecorated my computer screen with coffee.

I hardly ever come back from a dog walk without a bag of something

Like dog poo???!!!  :D :D :D

And again.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sandy

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 08:17:12 pm »
Tonight I came back with grass!!!! and just had some (2) of my 4 home grown tomatoes.

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 08:54:38 pm »
Tonight I came back with grass!!!! and just had some (2) of my 4 home grown tomatoes.

mmm tasty hope you put mayo on the grass tho bit chewy and bland for my liking    ;)

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 12:45:45 pm »
We went out collecting Walnuts from the side of the road on Monday, people dont bat an eyelid when you are blackberrying, but when they are not sure what you are collecting or doing you get some funny looks!!

buddy

• Joined Feb 2009
  • I really love my life, especially when its sunny
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 09:59:25 pm »
never mind the food, we can't drive past a skip without a good look !
Enjoying life making the most of whats available. My kids were little yesterday, today they are almost adults, where on earth did that change happen?

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 11:40:45 am »
never mind the food, we can't drive past a skip without a good look !
a bit like my father in law then lol, he came home with a wheelchair the other day  ??? very random lol

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS