Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newbie to TAS  (Read 1595 times)

Bobie

• Joined May 2018
  • Essex
Newbie to TAS
« on: May 15, 2018, 06:43:55 pm »
HI Everyone,  :wave:

I have just found this site, its fab, I have to say, so thought I would join and introduce myself.
I have just bought a little smallholding in Essex, with my husband and son,  which requires a lot of work to bring it around, so lots of hard graft ahead!!
I do already have chickens, silkies and pekins,  which are my total weakness, I love em!! and I have just rescued some ex batts, which I have done in the past, but only 3 at the minute, which are all scruffy and looking a bit moth eaten, but loving the Good Life now.
I also have 2 working dogs, a Labrador called Barney and a Patterdale terror not terrier, called Roly haha
I will shortly be homing some turkeys and 3 goats, its all very exciting and I can't wait to share and chat about our experiences with you all.

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
Re: Newbie to TAS
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 07:48:01 am »
 :wave: Hi Bobie - welcome to TAS. Good luck with your new venture!

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 07:59:51 am »
Hi Bobie
Welcome to the best site around  :wave: I am sure you will find it very useful as your new venture gets underway  :thumbsup:

Bobie

• Joined May 2018
  • Essex
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 03:10:57 pm »
Thanks guys, it's all very exciting !

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 04:52:23 pm »
Hello  :wave:  and welcome from mini-heatwave Scotland.

<<< ...and a Patterdale terror not terrier,...>>> - we have a Patterdale cross called Lucifer; I think you will understand why ;D :dog:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bobie

• Joined May 2018
  • Essex
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 08:04:32 pm »
Hi Fleecewife, haha, yes, totally understand, our Roly is a proper little tinker to say the least and lives up to his name also, if it stinks, he rolls in it!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 07:49:30 pm »
Welcome Bobie, looking forward to hearing more about your venture :)

There's a Patterdale x here, called Bella and a right little madam.  (Irresistible, though  :love: :dog:)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 08:04:24 pm »
Hi and welcome to TAS Bobie. Sounds really exciting, looking forward to more posts from you :) All the best  :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 10:13:37 pm »
 :wave: and welcome to TAS from sunny Shropshire. Sounds like you're at the start of a big adventure. I'm wondering what sort of goats you are getting.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 06:37:36 am »
Hello and welcome from  :sunshine: Carnoustie  :wave:

Bobie

• Joined May 2018
  • Essex
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 12:28:31 pm »
How lovely, what a warm welcome xx

I  had an acre before, which in the past,  I have had turkeys, chickens, ducks, pigs, horses, but no goats, so this
time I will be getting some Nigerian dwarfs and a Nubian, I think !  I love goats, but didn't really have enough space/grazing for them, however, since I've moved and we have more land, I can finally get 3 little goaties.
More for pets really, I would not have the time for milking twice aday, even though I would love to make my own cheese, yogurts etc...  :goat: :goat:
Like I say, I have never had them, so any advice on starting out would be very much appreciated, I do love to read up and research before I buy any kind of animal to make sure I'm doing it right, but please, any tips on what I will need before I bring them home would be fab!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS