Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Starting out in Shetland  (Read 1493 times)

Stickweaver

• Joined Mar 2018
Starting out in Shetland
« on: May 14, 2018, 10:55:47 am »
Hi

I’ve just bought a croft of 28 acres (split into 7 separate parts) in the north isles of Shetland. The idea is to keep primitive breeds to reflect the Iron Age and Viking (Norse) heritage of the island. We’re experienced in keeping poultry and being self sufficient in fruit and veg...but Crofting animals in the harsh environment of Shetland is all new to us. Any advice gratefully received, especially on the keeping of pigs.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Starting out in Shetland
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 11:55:30 am »
Your best plan would be to speak to the local foke. I am sure they would be more than helpful.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 07:43:22 pm »
We moved to Orkney 4 years ago and have a two acre smallholding. It has been an awesome experience, we love the way of life here and, for us, the beautiful summers make up for the harsh winters.

We were warned when we first moved here that some people can be unwelcoming to 'incomers' but that hasn't been my experience. We moved here, my husband and i work hard on the island and we contribute the the local community which are all things the locals appreciate.

We keep a few weaners to fatten every year, we have to bring them over from mainland as there isn't anyone on our island who breeds them so that might be something to consider if you are also out on one of the northern isles. Also, costs and arrangments for abbatoir, we home slaughter so it's not an issue for us but if we wanted to sell the pork we would have to transport the pigs back to mainland on the ferry.

If your out on one of the isles it can take a while to get used to the way things work but amazon is your friend!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 09:59:46 pm »
They say that the winds of Yell make the Yell fleeces the finest of all.... :spin:  :excited:

What an adventure.  Do please tell us all about it as you progress!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 09:02:51 am »
Shetland cattle for sure. I'd recommend you get is touch with Tommy and Mary Isbister I loved Shetland when we visited - not sure I could live there though.
http://www.shetlandheritageassociation.com/members/central-mainland/burland-croft-trail

Stickweaver

• Joined Mar 2018
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 03:36:30 pm »
Thank you for your welcoming messages and advice. I have been living here for a year and a half but only just purchased the croft. Folk here are really helpful and knowledgable, so I am lucky in this respect. Although when I registere the croft with the agricultural dept, they all said the best advice they could give me was not to listen to my neighbours!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 10:33:04 pm »
A bit late but I've only just seen your post and wanted to welcome you to the forum. I'm in sunny Shropshire.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS