Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cain is poorly  (Read 5422 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Cain is poorly
« on: August 26, 2010, 12:03:29 pm »
In fact he is proper poorly. Anyone with goats will know, they do not take being ill at all well.  He was fine last night, but this morning was a damp and miserable one.  I noticed immediately he was not waiting at the feed shed with Abel his brother.  He was lying on his own down the field. Rushed down, and could see he was not good.  Big pooy mess behind him, and his nose running.  I was worried he had lay there all night out in the rain and cold, but having looked in his field shelter, there is a big pooy mess there too, so obviously he had been in overnight, which is something.

Managed to get him up eventually.  Sick goats give up very quick, and if they decide they do not want to move, they won't.  Can't carry him, he is very tall, so I pushed and pulled him, down to the field shelter, and put nice straw down for him. He is slumped in the corner now. Not interested in food, but there again, neither would I with a cold and upset tummy.  I think he may have stuffed too much grass down for one thing, the rain has made it grow very green.

Will go up again and check on him in a few minutes, and see if he is any worse.  He did manage to eat a slce of banana, which is one of his favourites this morning.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Cain is poorly
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 12:09:10 pm »
As if you didn't have enough on your plate at the moment. I know how worrying it is and hope that Cain will be back to his old self very soon. I heard the rain batter down for most of the night here too and it has not went off all morning. My lot are all well and truely in their shelters and will leave them in this weather for nothing! If you get the chance let us know how he gets on. Glad your chooks showed up this morning. Again, the best of luck and hurry back. :)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 12:16:05 pm »
poor fella, hope its just that he's eaten too much of the good stuff....
Little Blue

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 01:03:04 pm »
Oh dear Roxy, how's he doing now?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 02:09:40 pm »
Oh dear.  It's awful when they get sick and such a worry.  Hope he's on the mend a bit now.  Thinking of you.  :wave:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 03:22:34 pm »
I have tried Cain with some goodies, and some willow leaves, but he is not interested.  But I mixed some calf scour formula with warm water, and he drunk the bucket full, so thats something.  Abel has lay down outside the gate of the field shelter to keep watch over his brother, and probably try and eat the willow leaves through the bars of the gate, knowing him!!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 03:24:36 pm by Roxy »

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 10:34:01 pm »
Oh, hope he improves soon Roxy. Poor Cain, I hope he gets over his tummy upset. A dose of antibiotics might help him in case the cold turns to pneumonia.

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 11:45:08 pm »
Unfortunately, Cain died this evening.  He was not looking any worse on my hourly checks.  I checked before I left to do the ponies, and offered him more water.  I had decided if he was not better by morning ,I would call the slaughterman. Havng had goats in this state before, and had them on antibiotics, quite often they still died, and I had a hefty bill!!  Its not long since I had a bill for all the jabs he had, and his liver problems.

When I got back, I could see Cain had definitely deteriorated, and within a few minutes he was gone.  I took Abel down the field to see his brother. They have been together all these years, and were always together in the field.  It was rather sad, as Abel stood there for a couple of minutes, and sniffed Cain.  If any of my goats, or indeed my horses die, I always let the other see the body.  Otherwise, I feel they will be waiting for their friend to return.  I do think they know, and in the past they have coped better having seen the body.

I then had a problem .....it was starting to rain hard, Cain was lying sideways across the field shelter entrance, preventing Abel getting in.  I struggled to move a dead pygmy on my own, so knew a large Anglo Nubian male would be a lot heavier.  My hubby, who is not interested in my goats, or indeed my other animals, was not best pleased when I rang to ask if he could come and help, especially as it was going dark, and raining!!  He did come up the track, and then we had to pull Cain out of the shelter and part way up the field.  Even with two of us, and pulling him on a builders sack it was not easy.  At least it was dark and the neighbours could not see.

I hope Abel will settle on his own.  The llama was in the field, but while we were occupied pulling Cain, he got through into the other field, and stayed there.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 12:03:59 am »
So sorry to hear Roxy. And poor Abel on his own. I'm sure he will be better knowing what has happened to his brother. I do agree that it is the right thing to let them see the body. I bet Robbie will be back to be with Abel as soon as he can.

Thoughts are with you.

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 12:14:21 am »
Abel can go up to the top of the field to the stables and see Poppy and Primrose, and of course Tyson the little pony and Bertie the sheep who share the other stable.  Abel is fine when they are in the field but I would not risk putting him in with the two little goats.  I have plenty other goats of course, but not sure if Abel would take to any of them.  Hopefully he will settle.  As I told him tonight - he has no bossy brother taking the best bucket, and biggest share of leaves and hay!!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 07:17:48 am »
Just want to wish you better fortunes - although I've only had my goats a few years just couldn't bear loosing any - my thoughts are with you too, Clare
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 07:47:01 am »
Morning Roxy, your computer by now is probably locked away so you won't get this message for a while. I am so, so sorry to hear that Cain didn't make it. I know how awful it is believe me and my thoughts are with you. I am sure that Abel will be fine after a day or two and he will enjoy the extra attention I am sure you will give him over the next while. Take care.

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 08:06:02 am »
I am so sorry to hear this news.  I really feel for you and will be heartbroken too when my old goat George goes.  I hope things pick up for you and will be thinking about you today.  It was really useful to know that the others should see the body for a kind of closure I suppose.  All the best.  C.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 08:58:36 am »
Oh Roxy, I am so sorry  :'(

Like you, I also make sure my animals have chance to accept their loss and say goodbye. I remember when Ronnie my toggenburg boy died, his mum stood in the pouring rain crying for him - it broke my heart and I realised at that point just how close the mum/goat kid bond truly is and how much like us goats are.
Just so sad for you Roxy, especially right at this time with all you have going on.
I hope Abel is Ok and I'm sending you lots of love
Lisa x
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 02:26:13 pm »
Computer still on .....sneaked on here, but should be carrying boxes out to the trailer to go in the storage.

Thank you all for your kind words.  Abel was crying a bit last night when I went up to check him.  He has Bertie sheep, and Primrose and Poppy out with him during the day, so does have some company.  A bit said when he saw the van pull up and rushed up to see if it was Cain coming back.

I have been at work this morning, but hubby somehow manhandled Cain into the back of the van and took him to the slaugherers, which is just up the road.  Thought they would charge the full £15 with him being big, but took a tenner!!

I have been told I can keep my computer until the end of the weekend, and then it really MUST go in the store.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS