Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weaning lambs  (Read 1749 times)

ejbhereford

• Joined Sep 2017
Weaning lambs
« on: May 11, 2018, 06:14:30 pm »
Just wondering when people start weaning lambs. My first bunch are 9 weeks now and eating and drinking independently and I have a patch of grass away from my main holding that really needs grazing!

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Weaning lambs
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 08:31:48 pm »
I did mine about 10-12 weeks as one set was triplets wanted them off the ewe sooner rather than later.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 10:09:51 pm »
Off ewes, you mean?  I've never done that earlier than four months, unless the ewe was finding it hard work.  Then not before 10 weeks.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 05:55:45 am »
I usually aim for 12 weeks. If the ewes are looking a bit ropey I will pull a few ewes out earlier.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 11:56:37 am »
Why do you need to wean them?  Do you need the ewes to be doing something else?  If you leave them be then the ewe will wean the lambs herself at around 4 to 5 months, and certainly in time to have a couple of months to recover before she goes back to the tup.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS