Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Clearing out a silted up stream  (Read 2564 times)

smars999

• Joined May 2018
Clearing out a silted up stream
« on: May 13, 2018, 08:56:20 pm »
Hi All

I have a small stream thats in a ditch  running through my land which meets with an off shoot of the local river.

Whenever there are storms the river backs up the stream threatening to flood nearby house & back up a couple of drainage pipes that run into the stream.

Theres approx 2 foot of silt in the stream (due to approx 20 years worth of leaf material falling in & breaking down)& need some advice how to clean it out.

Due to the depth of the ditch it sits in, a mini diggers arm won't reach to dig it out, due to the location & sloping sides of the ditch would not be able to get a bigger digger anywhere near to the stream.

Ive looked at hiring a trash pump to pump out the silt but the hire companies i spoke to reckon its not suitable for silt (although i get the impression that the info they had on the product was the same as their website & as it didn't mention silt they said no)

So any ideas how i can clear it out

Thanks

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Clearing out a silted up stream
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 09:39:20 am »
It sounds like an unpleasant job with a bucket and a shovel... but will it make any difference? Water will find it's own height if truly backing up rather than failing to flow away.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 12:09:34 pm »
I agree with Pgk, the water level would be the same as the river level when it backs up, it lower down the river you need to be looking at. ?.
(Living near Hebden Bridge I see the devastation too regularly,  everyone is wanting the river clearing further down, but apparently environment Agency is too worried about effect on wildlife!

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 12:16:21 pm »
Surely all you are going to gain is whatever volume of silt you manage to clear. Even if you get rid of several cubic metres of the stuff if the river is in flood during a storm that volume is insignificant - the stream will still back up, just take slightly longer (like a few minutes longer).

smars999

• Joined May 2018
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 01:35:31 pm »
hmmmm lots to think about

the secondary issues are, that any agitation of the water/silt produces a terrible smell & the trees on the bank need a damn good trimming back which would be easier done stood in the water & at the moment that is like walking through treacle.

Although hire station just got back to me stating there trash pump would be suitable & happy to refund hire price if not, so something to think on.

Ksm177

• Joined Dec 2017
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 07:42:07 pm »
A 2 or 3 inch diaphragm (wilden) pump is more than capable of pumping out the silt. You would need a compressor to power it as most of them are air powered.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS