Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Walkie-talkie radios  (Read 2778 times)

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
Walkie-talkie radios
« on: August 26, 2010, 10:56:13 am »
I was given a pair of small walkie-talkie radios a while ago. They are very useful when I am working in one of my fields. They come as a pair and I have one and my wife the other.

They have a range of about 1 mile but it is line of sight. So they don't work if one is behind a building or below the horizon.

We occasionally get bits of other peoples conversations. However, the radios have several channels so we just change to another when the interference gets annoying.

The other issue with these radios is their battery life. These radios have 3 AAA batteries in (each) and they last about 8 hours. It would be nice to have radios with a longer life battery which can be recharged (like a mobile phone) but we will continue to use what we have while they work. Replacement batteries are easy to get and not too expensive if you buy supermarket ones in a reasonable quantity.

If the idea sounds interesting, Google 'walkie-talkie' and you will get a lot of product offers. Choose the best you can afford. Some are weather proof, and some have other features like more channels and bigger batteries. A socket for earphones would be nice to allow you to hear the radio when wearing ear defenders while working a noisy machine (chainsaw/strimmer/tractor).

NN
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Walkie-talkie radios
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 11:40:11 am »
We used to use them but they are rather cumbersome.  One day we had some very abusive words from someone using the same channel who couldn't understand why another woman was apparently there with her husband  ;D  Ooh the air was blue  :o    Now we find it easier to use our mobile phones
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
Re: Walkie-talkie radios
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 03:11:00 pm »
i got some recently fully rechargeable and use them on the field  my little girl is starting to play with them. i used to use them when i was a "boy racer" years ago when we had a convoy it was cheaper then credit used on mobiles . i love listening in on convo's i think its funny and when theres silence you say something to kick it off again i had some one looking for me as i told him to shut up a few yrs ago thought it was a friend and he was sure he was going to kill me so i thought what the hell he cant be to far from me i got in car drove around and found him when 15 cars turned up he did say sorry for the abusiveness of his talking and we let him off . its a piece of fun at the end of it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS