Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to train Ducks?  (Read 3761 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: How to train Ducks?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2018, 11:48:52 am »
Handle them. 

Lift them up and talk to them. 

Hand feed them. 

As others have said feed them at set times with the last feed being in their run.

I have 6 Shetlands now but had a Swedish blue drake, his KC wife, and their three daughters that were all killed by a fox even though they hadn't had their wings clipped.  None of them can fly very far.  Just a quick flutter up and down.  They were in my front paddock but too accessible to other animals (including rabbit and deer ringbarking my fruit trees  :rant:); so my Shetlands and chooks are in the back yard where it's a bit more secure.

I feed them outside when I let them out and again in the afternoon, mainly because my lead duck quacks like an old witch  :roflanim:

They live happily with 5 rescue hens and an old white hen, in about a third of an acre of weedy, grassy ground with a big pond and leyland trees, with an outside run and inside run for each breed - the hens come into their own run at dusk, the ducks come in to theirs when I go to shut the popholes because they know they'll get a little more feed and a wee bedtime chat  :innocent:

They don't call me the bird lady here for nothing  :eyelashes:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS