Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New mum  (Read 1580 times)

angie

• Joined Jul 2016
New mum
« on: May 08, 2018, 04:53:19 pm »
Hi looking for advice on one of my new mums, first time kidder she is obsessed with her kid, keeps licking him, won't let him rest much but more concerning is that she is pawing him with her foot instead of using her nose. As soon as he lies down she is getting him up again. I stayed with her last night until she lay down to cud distracting her hoping that would break the cycle. It seemed to work but she is still obsessed today though not quite as much.
Has anyone got some advice on how to deal with this behaviour, do I intervene or leave alone don't we to break the bond but concerned about him
If I intervene what could I do

Angie

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: New mum
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 10:44:59 pm »
I would just watch that she is not too rough with the kid... I have one that has a slightly shorter tail as mum was too enthusiastic while cleaning her... and as long as she is not head-butting it or pushing it away the kid should get enough milk and she will calm down in my experience.

angie

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 12:54:13 pm »
Anke thank you for your advice, it was reassuring, she doesn't have a problem feeding him, the opposite is one of the problems, every time he lies down she's getting him up for more, although she isn't quite obsessive today.

Angie

angie

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 01:04:31 pm »
Scarlett Dragon thank you for your advice,
Your matriarch did well having her first kidding at that age, must have come as a bit of a shock to her.

I would have probably thought to milk her but a bit sleep deprived at the moment. I have been able to give him some rest, he has started to find his feet and moving around more now so he should be able to escape her sometimes soon lol
I've been spending time with mum reassuring her, she was a bottle reared triplet, don't know whether that makes a difference in mothering instinct.

Angie

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 02:59:09 pm »
But if she only has the one kid you will have to milk out the half of the udder that the kids is almost certainly not drinking from, otherwise you do risk mastitis. Easing out twice a day may be necessary in the first few days, possibly longer.

angie

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 10:29:25 pm »
Thanks Anke I have already started to milk out the unused side, if I wasn't so sleep deprived I would have thought of that sooner, also all part of the learning curve. It's been our first kidding and has been a  challenge with all three girls. Out off five kids only one presented in the right position. One of the girls was ill before kidding, didn't think she would pull through but is a fighter and had triplets, first was breech,, second had a tucked in leg third was head only presentation. Hope next season is less of a challenge

Angie

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS