Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: spreading lime  (Read 6216 times)

Taliesin

• Joined Aug 2016
spreading lime
« on: May 08, 2018, 08:13:23 am »

I'm purchasing two tonne of ground limestone from a local quarry to spread on our two acres. Can anyone recommend what implement I can use to load and spread the stuff? Was thinking I could tow something along in my old 4x4 if needs be.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: spreading lime
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 09:45:04 am »
We've thought long and hard about this one, having been let down by a succession of different contractors who always say they'll get back to us but then disappear! The problem is that most spreaders either need a PTO, or are far too small for this kind of thing.

In the end, we've decided to use granulated lime (calcifert) instead. This comes in 600kg big bags, which I can collect locally using our 4x4 and trailer.

Then, the plan will be for Mrs Womble to drive us slowly round the fields, whilst my friend and I stand on the trailer, scooping the lime out and scattering it by hand as we go.  Yes, I'd have loved to buy or make a spreader, but I have a hunch that this will work just fine, and will probably take less time overall than having to get the welder out.

I just need to get our Landy back on (or off!) the road, and we'll be ready to give it a try. I'll report back in due course, but if anybody has any tips in the meantime, I'd be glad to hear them!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 10:36:07 am »
I had the same situation and invested in a spreader that could do anything from grass seed to rock salt and that seemed to work. Hopefully later this year I will be using it for seed

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 11:32:06 am »

A quick search revealed this:
https://www.housemakers.co.uk/agri-fab-85lb-tow-spreader.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwlcXXBRBhEiwApfHGTRi14J1_kMgx9ISvgzBZlaieFA6pIsGxO_zZIrz3zbeBQhOdScYaRRoCSAIQAvD_BwE#product_tabs_description

which is a small towable spreader and not expensive.  I know nothing more about it, but perhaps something like this might suit?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 12:26:30 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 08:35:17 pm »

A quick search revealed this:
https://www.housemakers.co.uk/agri-fab-85lb-tow-spreader.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwlcXXBRBhEiwApfHGTRi14J1_kMgx9ISvgzBZlaieFA6pIsGxO_zZIrz3zbeBQhOdScYaRRoCSAIQAvD_BwE#product_tabs_description

which is a small towable spreader and not expensive.  I know nothing more about it, but perhaps something like this might suit?

I've taken the sizing commands out of your post, Fleecewife, as it was 0.00045pt on my screen!  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 12:29:21 pm »
Thanks Sally.  I've changed mine too.  I usually check that when I've posted as it happens a lot, I think when I copy a link.  I think the spreader might be quite small too - I've been trying to calculate how many times it would need to be refilled to spread 2 tons, but my brain ran away.  Still, there are larger sizes out there, just more expensive.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 01:07:28 pm »
Yes, we'd seen those wee spreaders too, but figured they were too small for anything except a large lawn. That said, to spread two tonnes would take 52 refills#, so I guess if you did one a week.....

# Mind you, the blurb doesn't say whether the hopper holds 38.5 kg of lime, grass seed or feathers, so YMMV!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 01:12:38 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 03:01:38 pm »
You will need a drop spreader for ground limestone.  A broadcast spreader will only work with prilled lime (calcifert etc).

Back in the day folks would spread it by hand off the back of a trailer - you'll need eye protection and a mask, (and skin protection) but it's doable.  It's not like you will have to do it very often if you use ground limestone.  If you use prills however, you'll need to do it every year.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 04:24:51 pm »
Another thing to bear in mind is that I don't think it spreads very easily if it gets wet....

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 07:29:13 pm »

I'm purchasing two tonne of ground limestone from a local quarry to spread on our two acres. Can anyone recommend what implement I can use to load and spread the stuff? Was thinking I could tow something along in my old 4x4 if needs be.

I honestly wouldn't bother buying 2 tonnes and spreading it yourself.
Either ask a local lime contractor to supply and spread it, or, as Womble suggested, get some calcifert which can be spread with a conventional spreader. You can get land driven ones that your 4 x 4 will tow. In fact I have a proper commercial one for sale that holds about half a tonne (much more than the 85lbs referred to in the link above!)

(Don't know how much my son wants for ours, but I can ask him, or even if it's any good for you - I live near Goole in Yorks.)
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Ksm177

• Joined Dec 2017
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 04:49:52 pm »
I use a Logic Broadcaster to spread granulated lime, works well. You would be surprised how quick you will load and spread the lime. 2t wouldn’t take that long.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 12:37:12 pm »
I use a Logic Broadcaster to spread granulated lime, works well. You would be surprised how quick you will load and spread the lime. 2t wouldn’t take that long.
The OP has bought ground lime not granulated.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 07:34:41 pm »
2 tons isn't that much. A spade and a trailer would do it

westcoastcroft

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 03:22:11 pm »
Have you had you fields tested to know how much to put on.

Up here on Skye our analysis was very different across the various fields on our croft. With 1 field at ph5.1 needing 10.8t/ha and another at ph5.5 needing 6.8t/ha of ground limestone spread 50/50 over 2 years before retesting to asses results. Amount of Limestone also effected byu soil type and cropping plans

It is quite a big job spreading it and i would definitely do it with ground rather than pelleted as once its done its done.

I have a wee tractor towing an old trailer which can handle about 700kgs - luckily I have a mini digger to load the trailer with which saves handling the lime with a shovel twice. OH drives very slowly and i spread with a shovel and a fast swing to get a good spread - can do about 0.7 tons in 20 minutes followed by 20 minutes coughing and spluttering because of the effort of keeping up with the tractor and 20 mins to re load. Have spread about 12 tons like this taking maybe 2 days all in... so definitely doable with a 4x4 and trailer..

Have fun
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 03:29:29 pm by westcoastcroft »

Taliesin

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2018, 05:00:40 pm »
I had the same situation and invested in a spreader that could do anything from grass seed to rock salt and that seemed to work. Hopefully later this year I will be using it for seed

What type of spread please. Make and model? Sound like a useful multifunction item.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS