Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Self feeding birds  (Read 1888 times)

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
Self feeding birds
« on: August 25, 2010, 10:56:33 pm »
I alway use a measuring jug to measure out the layers pellets as all the books suggest that a layign hen needs about 130grams of feed per day. I was given a new 4.5kg feeder and so i filled it up and thought that it should last two days- I have 22 birds in a large pen in the field.  To my surprise that evening when i went to lock the birds up and the feeder was empty. So out of curiousity i filled it again the following morning and same thing again- that evening it was empty.

Is this normal- or should i resort back to the two and a half scoops in the feeder every morning?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Self feeding birds
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 12:40:58 am »
The same thing happened to me a few years ago and I went back to just giving them the correct amount at feeding times.  I reckoned other things were eating the pellets - rats, mice, birds etc
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 08:27:21 am »
Mine are the opposite - I wish they would eat more layers pellets (in the vain hope that might make them lay more eggs ;D)
They seem to take ages to finish their feed hopper. It used to only take them 3 days. Though I have caught them nicking the growers pellets, which apparently are more tasty! ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 11:57:23 am »
Mine are the opposite - I wish they would eat more layers pellets (in the vain hope that might make them lay more eggs ;D)
They seem to take ages to finish their feed hopper. It used to only take them 3 days. Though I have caught them nicking the growers pellets, which apparently are more tasty! ;D
That is exactly why I only put down what I know they will eat at one sitting.  If I left a huge hopper they'd have what they want then the rats etc would tuck in.  I treat my birds the same as my dogs.  Food goes down - if not eaten in ten minutes it comes back up and nothing left till the next meal at teatime.  That way I know exactly what they are eating and can increase it if required.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS