Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Beautiful Silkie Cockerel(s) free to good home - Peterborough  (Read 3997 times)

kezhulme

• Joined Sep 2008
Beautiful Silkie Cockerel(s) free to good home - Peterborough
« on: September 12, 2008, 02:16:17 pm »
We have 2 Dark Silkies which we bought believing they were female, both have turned out to be male!

They b are wonderful characters but we already have enough cockerels!. We are unfortunately unable to keep them and would like them to go to someone who can give them a good life as soon as possible!

Im not sure what colour you would call them i would just say they are greyish/brown!

Please contact me on 07791915292 or pm/email me!

gillian

• Joined Aug 2008
Re: Beautiful Silkie Cockerel(s) free to good home - Peterborough
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 06:40:55 pm »
I got 2 silkies 6 weeks ago and i also bought them as hens, these are my first hens and did not realise that they were difficult to sex. I'm afraid i can't help with rehoming but could I ask what age you were able to sex them, mine are 15 weeks and are still looking like females but i am not sure when I will know for sure.  I bought mine from All year round birds, and as a novice I did not realise that they were not a true colour, bit blue/partridge.  Still love them though, their personalities are coming through.

thanks for any advice you can give

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 08:46:19 pm »
I find that if you have a mix of hens and cockerels, it's easier - the males will have larger combs and thicker legs and just look "maler". they will start to crow about 15 weeks - party hooter style, so you might be lucky. You can also tell by the rpesence of saddle feathers on a cockerel but I don't know if that applies to Silkies. I've got a single Cuckoo Maran at 9 weeks and I have no idea if it's male or female. I'll know soon enough - too soon for him, anyway, if it is a "him"!

gillian

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 08:58:18 pm »
thanks Rosemary, we've only got feathers and fluff at the moment - no combs and still just buck bucking, no crowing -so fingers crossed. Is the maran the wee chick we met at the course in July?  I am please to see your putting more courses on next yr but may i say that having looked at other sites you may be under pricing yourself (you did do a very prof job).  I've replied to one of Sandy's blogs as i am keen to get a few more hens ( you said i would).   p.s. feel a little sad to be talking about hens on a Sat night!

Gillian
Tullibody

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 09:01:41 pm »
Thanks, Gillian. I think I'm going to make up Christmas vouchers that folk can give as gifts and the recipient can pick their own course date.

Yes, it's the wee chick - it's quite a big chick now! If I was sure it was female, you could have her and her mummy could get back to laying!

mandie

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 04:06:27 pm »
hi are they still available??if so do you have pics please???

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS