Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help are they edible?  (Read 4044 times)

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
Help are they edible?
« on: August 25, 2010, 02:56:30 pm »
These are like a cross between a cherry and a plum with a stone like a plum. My husband has threatened me with dire consequences if I dare to try one. I must say they are very tempting. Red and juicy. does anyone know what they are?

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
Re: Help are they edible?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 03:08:18 pm »
Cant tell exactly but they look and sound like cherry plums, which are what you describe a bit bigger than cherries but taste like a plum.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 05:39:28 pm »
Sandy brought yellow ones just like that to the CSSA BBQ on Saturday - a few people tasted them and as far as i know they are all still alive and kicking, but maybe you should go to your local garden centre for confirmation?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 06:34:45 pm »
they do look like cherry plums - we've just made a batch of wine from them and they make gorgeous jam. either that or they might be like the wild yellow plums but most likely cherry plums x
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 10:25:09 pm »
they would also make a lovely coloured chutney

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 07:32:18 pm »
just made Chinese plum sauce from mine  :yum:
I also have yellow ones, I think they are Mirabelles, they are milder in taste, cherry plums can be quite tangy (not as bad as sloes  ;D) :&>

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 07:33:40 pm »
could you let me know the recipe for the plum sauce please?  tried one last year but I think I did it wrong - the kids were not impressed lol!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 07:37:42 pm »
It's in Nigella Lawson's domestic Goddess , adapted according to taste, lol. I have used more sugar as they are tangy and much more 5 spice powder. I will next time add some soy sauce, only found other recipes after I made it  ::) If you don't have the book, I'll find the recipe for you :&>

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 07:44:15 pm »
I shall do a google and see if I can find it  :)  thank you

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 03:48:52 pm »
Well folks I figured if it kills me it was worth it so I have made jam with the "cherry plums".I must say they are a bit tart so I shall call it "Sour cherry Jam". If you here about a W.I struck down with a mysterious illness you will know it's me. L.O.L

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS