Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Whipsnade, Bedfordshire.  (Read 2216 times)

gmacp

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Whipsnade
Hello from Whipsnade, Bedfordshire.
« on: August 25, 2010, 10:23:47 am »
Hello everybody.

Have been looking at this website for a few months now, but only just got around to registering. I have 3 acres of land right next to Whipsnade Zoo and am just starting to look into getting involved in running a smallholding. There's some great information/advice on here.

I do have one question, and I'm sorry if you have been asked this lots of time before, but I am planning to get some chickens soon, and can't decide whether to get battery hen from the British Hen Welfare Trust or but POL ones from a breeder. I'm just concerned that battery hens will not be around for very long and there could be quite large vet bills to consider?

Also, if I do buy hens would a mix of Orpintons and Araucana's be a good mix? We have a 5ft fence and hopefully this is sufficient for these breeds - I think the Orpington's are fine with that height fence, but not too sure on the Araucana's?

Any advice much appreciated!

Cheers,

Glyn

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
Re: Hello from Whipsnade, Bedfordshire.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 11:05:34 am »
Welcome to the forum, from Lanarkshire in Scotland.

I do have one question, and I'm sorry if you have been asked this lots of time before, but I am planning to get some chickens soon, and can't decide whether to get battery hen from the British Hen Welfare Trust or but POL ones from a breeder. I'm just concerned that battery hens will not be around for very long and there could be quite large vet bills to consider?

Also, if I do buy hens would a mix of Orpintons and Araucana's be a good mix? We have a 5ft fence and hopefully this is sufficient for these breeds - I think the Orpington's are fine with that height fence, but not too sure on the Araucana's?

The answer to your question depends on what your purpose is.

If you want to produce eggs in large numbers from happy hens, go for freerange POL ones, and replace them as they go off lay.  If you want to rescue old battery hens, you regard them as pets (to an extent) and accept some overheads & reduced eggs, although they can lay for several years once they are over the trauma of being ex bats.

Choose whatever hens you like - they're yours after all!

A 5ft fence will restrain the heavier breeds, but bantams would go straight over the top.  I prefer 8ft fencing which keeps most in, but sometimes have to clip the wings (one side only) of new birds to stop them going over.  Once they get used to the boundary they don't bother even when the feathers grow back again (usually).   You only trim one side of the flight feathers - this unbalances them & they can't fly straight.

It also depends on what is over the fence - if it's merely a nuisance to get them back from the garden, then you don't worry as much as if they are getting into somebody else's property.

Whatever you decide, enjoy them!

John

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 11:13:00 am »
Hi Glyn and welcome.

The question re whats the best chickens to get - well there is no really right answer. If you want to do your bit and save a few ex battery then you do take the risk of problems. If you read some old threads on the poultry section re these hens you will read some sad stories and also some heart warming stories. As with buying any animal there is always the risk of vet bills so I don't think this should be an issue. You will be hugely rewarded if you decide to take these ones when you see them change from being bald, robotic and timid animals to healthy, happy and loving ones. Yes there is also the risk of loosing a few in the early days but even with POL you never can guarantee they will be healthy.

Now, if you want the easy life and have eggs asap go down the road of POL hens. Perhaps as a newcomer to hens this would be the best route and learn from this experience for future? I absloutely take my hat off to the wonderful people that give these ex bats a chance of a better life and think they do an incredible job. I cannot believe that in this day and age our government allow these birds to be kept in such a horrific way. I would re home myself but have a hotel attached to my land and fear people seeing there scruffy birds would report us for neglect - not realising we are actually helping them!

My chooks are 100% free range but are kept in a paddock (for night time) surrounded by 5ft fences and they have no trouble what so ever getting over these.

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 11:17:11 am »
Welcome from North Yorkshire.  :wave:  I started with some POL then when we were used to them introduced ex- batts.  They mingled quite well together too.  I love them all and they are all friendly, but the ex-batts are probably the most friendliest of the lot.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 04:00:57 pm »
Hi and welcome! :wave:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 05:02:40 pm »
Hi , have you considered Brahmas?  Lovely birds, dual purpose, dont tend to fly over fences, and so very friendly, not to mention extremely decorative.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 05:27:06 pm »

Hello and welcome from southern Scotland.
Our first hens (Black Rocks) flew straight out of the lovely enclosure we had made them, with 5' fences, then flew back in to go to bed.  I have the inevitable mental picture of yours taking off and flying straight into the waiting gaping jaws of a Whipsnade lion....... Unlikely I know but with neighbours like those you perhaps need to be extra careful. On the other hand I would think the foxes would keep their distance.
I have no opinions to offer on ex-bats v POL beyond what others have written.  Perhaps have some of both, but keep them separate until you know they are all healthy.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 10:57:05 pm »
Hello and welcome!!

I have a lot of free range hens, both pure bred, x breeds and also ex battery hens .  There are pros and cons whichever you choose.  The pure bred hens are pretty to look at. but definitely do not lay as good as the ex battery hens.  Ex batts are bred to lay, and thats what they do for a year.  OK when they come out of the farm, they are technically "spent" and not guaranteed to lay 6 eggs per week, as the farmer needs them to do.  But, they do lay well, and its adequate for normal households!!  The only thing is, there is no guarantee, and they may not lay once out of the farm, and this is a risk you take, nor do they last long sometimes, although I have had some 3-4 years and still going strong.

I am involved with an organisation rescuing ex battery hens.  Please look at their website, and there is a drop down menu with collection points, and see if there is one near you.  There is a rescue in the next few weeks.

www.henrehomers.net

gmacp

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Whipsnade
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 10:18:51 am »
Thank you all for your replies, you have all been so helpful. I will definitely have a look at Brahmas.

I don't think the chickens could make it into the zoo, although we are v close - we have had them around to tranquilise deer that escaped into our paddock, and last winter I had a wallaby jump across the road onto the village green...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS