Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buying Pygmy Goats - Advice Please  (Read 1537 times)

Chicken_House

• Joined Feb 2015
Buying Pygmy Goats - Advice Please
« on: May 06, 2018, 09:25:22 am »
We have recently decided that we would like to add a couple of Pygmy Goats to our ever growing managerie. We'd like some Kids so that they can grow up with us and our kids!

I haven't done an exhaustive search yet but my question is I'm only seeing Ads for pygmy kids on free ad sites or preloved sites and my fear is that using these types of sites, can lead to exploitation of animals in the worst way.

Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas of how best to purchase goats specifically (we are based in Surrey)? Do I just need to search harder to find a local farm or am I completely wrong in not trusting the free ad sites?

Lastly, I'm suddenly under attack constantly by Stanley our resident cockerel (Spring time with his ladies, I'm guessing) but would I find female goats a little less bolshy than males or should we take one of each gender? Any recommendations or thoughts?

Please no nasty comments, we are new to this and might not know everything but our animals are loved and well looked after and we seem to find our feet quite quickly with our pigs, chickens etc. Thank you . X

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Buying Pygmy Goats - Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 11:30:27 am »
Hi there.  To get off on the right foot, see http://pygmygoatclub.org.uk/ which is the breed society.  That way you will find proper breeders of pedigree animals.  Lots of people do get livestock through the pre-owned ads type source, but I'm like you and prefer to go to the top.  Choose somewhere you can see the nanny and billy and be satisfied with how your goats have been reared.  They won't be pennies but you definitely get what you pay for, and there is some sort of implicit guarantee when buying from a breed society member.  I'm envious as I would love pygmy goats too, but it won't happen now.
You could also visit agricultural and smallholders shows where you would meet local breeders, and get yourself invited to visit their stock.

I can't help with your other questions except - when a cockerel becomes aggressive, especially when you have children, it's time to put him in the pot  :chook:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 11:32:11 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Chicken_House

• Joined Feb 2015
Re: Buying Pygmy Goats - Advice Please
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 09:48:00 am »
Thank you so much for all the information. Lots to digest. Many thanks x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS