Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Urgent help with ducklings please  (Read 2458 times)

KhakiC

• Joined Aug 2010
Urgent help with ducklings please
« on: August 24, 2010, 08:32:11 am »
Morning
We have duck politics going on and need help!
To our amazement our Khaki Campbell Jez managed to have a clutch of 13 ducklings!
We have 2 other adult females and an adult male called Stig!
The ducklings are doing really well (2 weeks & 3 days old) and Jez is being a brilliant Mummy. However the adult male Stig yesterday started attacking the ducklings :( he attacked one so badly that yesterday afternoon we took it out of harms way and it has only just stopped bleeding. We then banished Stig to his house. This morning when we let them all out the Stig attacked another one. Why is he doing this and what can we do? Thank you

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Urgent help with ducklings please
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 08:36:13 am »
This is not the first time recently that I have heard about a male duck attacking the young! I have never had this happen before but think the easiest option is to keep dad seperate until the young are big enough to look after themselves. I would try and keep him close enough to the others (but not in the same run) so they are still used to eachother but yet the babies are out of harms way.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 09:44:52 am »
I usually find mum and chicks are best seperated so you can keep an eye as ducks are not very good parents. They are not like hens that let chicks eat first ducks will scoff the lot to let the chicks scrounge for example.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 11:37:31 am »
As I said in the other thread, KC's are sexy beasts and a drake really needs about 8 to 10 ducks to service or the one or two that he has get raped continuously, so keep the females and sell the drakes once you know what sex they are.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 11:45:22 am »
i agree with annie and think that is generally the case with ducks.  currently we have 3 male and 3 female aylesburys and the girls nevr get a moments peace - the boys are for the chop this weekend ...unless anyone wants them?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 11:48:43 am »
I've not come across this with mine , but I also feel that you need more girls to keep him happy. If they all thrive you have that sorted  ;D
 You can either lock mum away with her young for a few weeks - this is what I would do as we have attacks from sparrowhawks who think ducklings are easy dinner - or if yours are safe lock Dad away in a pen . We do have an eglu on loan from a friend for these occasions, it's been brilliant. Any small hutch and run will do, though, although he won't be happy! I would not keep them together at night.
 Sounds like the other girls have been helping by letting mum do the job for all of them  ;D:&>

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 11:58:17 pm »
Interestingly I hatched a pair of Rouen St Clair, which do not really mature until 18mth old.  Knowing drakes need more females I got in two younger Rouen ducks.  All 4 lived together happily until next breeding season, when the drake kept attacking the younger ducks.  I thought at first he was just trying to mate them, but no - he and the duck kept them both off the pool and away from the feed to such an extent I had to separate them.  Breeding season over, calm returned!!

I think we often forget that animals/birds have personalities of their own, and also I think we forget that we ourselves are just one species of mammal.  We put ourselves so far above anything else, and sometimes I wonder why?

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 07:36:49 am »
Absolutely, not every drake behaves the same in the same situation. We just have to go with the flow. Some people have cockerels that get on with each other, I had 2 that fought...

Who gives you these lovely eggs, darkbrown?  :&>

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 10:33:48 pm »
Hi Northfifeduckling

The photo is of some eggs from my English Cuckoo Marans. There are more photo of the eggs on my website, the darkest ones are usually laid early in the season

All the best
Sue :)
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS