Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cracked skin  (Read 3607 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
cracked skin
« on: August 24, 2010, 09:32:04 pm »
One of my lambs that suffered bad flystrike a week ago on her back, now seems to have some cracks in her skin, new ones, nothing to do with the damage from flystrike. I was wondering if this is really only due to the skin (the vet shaved quite a large area on her back) drying out from being washed with Savlon solution for a few days last week and also still being sprayed daily with Nettex?

What kind of cream, or better oil could I put on her back to help these cracks healing and not becoming worse or infected? I have got udder cream, or simple E45, but also sudocream. I have also Battles Maggot oil, and it seems to be the right thing to use?

My vet is away at the moment, and I don't want to have someone else dealing with this, as it would involve another trip there and another bill...

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
Re: cracked skin
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 09:36:02 pm »
you could try a tea tree based cream very good healing properties, when theyve had bad fly strike the whole area will scab over, fleece will take a very long time to come back

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 03:09:14 pm »
I've even used an old pot of Germoline - remember that!  You'll be rubbing in cream for a while, so give them all ago, it's just to make the healing skin supple.  The only thing I haven't used is the maggot oil, so can't give advice on that.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 04:16:40 pm »
I used pig oil on mine (maggot oil) it worked a treat

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 09:59:21 pm »
Aloe vera gel works wonders for this.  I have used germolene and maggot oil, but prefer aloe gel.  The tea tree oil stuff I used tended to sting my hands so not sure what it would do to already inflamed skin.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 01:55:01 pm »
Hi Shrek.   Mine had this problem last year, and I used that stuff women use when they get sore nipples from breastfeeding (hope this doesn't get blocked!!)  I also used it for my ewe with sore teats - it works seriously well.  Good luck!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 09:11:11 pm »
Have started to put udder cream on so far - as my goats refuse to have it on their udders I might as well get some use out of it. The lamb doesn't like it either, but has no choice. Her sores from flystrike are now starting to heal up, so i am hopeful the worst is behind us.

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 09:15:14 pm »
You could mix some laveder oil into the udder cream as well

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 09:49:25 pm »
That's an idea! Thanks. Just putting in an order for soapmaking, so could get some.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 08:10:09 pm »
Sorry for calling you Shrek, Anke.  Got a bit confused with my threads. (Its my age, you know.) See you soon.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS