Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Wales!  (Read 3623 times)

cocodelight

• Joined Sep 2008
Hello from Wales!
« on: September 11, 2008, 01:25:37 pm »
Hi,

Just a quick note to introduce myself! My name is Karen and I live just outside Abergavenny, Wales.

I am married and have three children, 2 dogs( a Chocolate Labrador and an English Springer Spaniel), 2 ponies, 4 Embeden geese, 2 Black Swans, Peacock and Peahen, numerous chickens and ducks and we have recently acquired our first weaners a Gloucester Old Spot and a Oxford Sandy Black which we are all very excited about!!

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Re: Hello from Wales!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 04:01:34 pm »
Hi
My name is also Karen and I live in the foothills of the Cambrian Mountains. Welcome to the site, you will always find someone here to help if you need it they are a really friendly bunch.
How do you get on with the peacocks, i.e are they in runs. Our family kept peacocks when I was younger and Dad had them in runs, but the foxes always managed to get in somehow, so in the end he let them roam and they roosted in the trees at night, not always his.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 07:01:06 pm »
Hi Karen and welcome to the forums.

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 08:10:04 pm »
Welcome Karen - of course we just love piggy people here in Normandy and having to Gossies amongst others ourselves so I know you will have the greatest time with them.

Tell us about the peacocks.  I was hoping for a pair in November but the female abandoned her nest so no go, looking forward to the word that she has successfully hatched some out for next year.  My interest particularly apart from how beautiful they are, is that I am told they ward off preditors.  Is this your experience?

Kate  :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 08:22:23 pm »
Hi Karen & Welcome

Good luck with your weaners, pigs are such great fun we've now given up watching TV & watch them instead! hours of entertainment!!
Regards
Donna  :D
I Love mornings - I just wish they came later in the day!

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 09:52:56 pm »
hiya cocodelight, Ohhh  member from South Wales my home country am originaly from Pontypool not far (A4042) 
my parents are still there and have a workshop in Manhilad.
Hope you find some usefull things on the site :)
Linz

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 04:49:46 pm »
Hi and welcome

I know Abergaveny well, used to travel that way frequently from Bristol  to Grandads farm near Aberystwyth.

I have Gossies too, funny little things who give so much pleasure to watch their antics, still cant work out how they see properly when just swaggering!!!!! those ears!!!!!

Carole

cocodelight

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 02:47:51 pm »
Hi Again,

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for such a warm welcome! Is'nt it a small world! Linz, Pontypool is just down the road from me!

The peafowl are great! We have only had them for about 5 weeks ( so haven't had any experience of them warding off any predators that I know of). I let them out of their run in the morning and they wander around all day with the ducks and chucks, about 6.30pm they wander back to their pen where I lock them in and feed them corn and layer pellets!  The peacock however, has taken a fancy to my daughters white minature silkie and puts in a lot of effort displaying to her, which needless to say is highly amusing!

The weaners are growing and yes they are great fun to watch!

I am sure that I will have a few questions in the near future!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS