Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Roxy has more kittens .......  (Read 5020 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Roxy has more kittens .......
« on: August 24, 2010, 12:33:20 pm »
I was still scratching my head as to how to catch the feral females for speying, and they must have got in kitten as soon as the others went to new homes.

It wasn't funny at the time, but I can smile now.  Two weeks ago, we were off to a horse show. 4.30am I went down the field to feed the outside cats at their caravan.  Nearly stood on something, in the wet morning dew long grass.  Eek....it looked very like a newborn black and white kitten.  Looked round, no cats.  Picked kitten up, alive but very cold.  Warmed it in my hands, not much time to think, as we had to get on the road with the horse trailer!!  Found the small white cat, who had looked a bit plumper the day before, maybe she was slightly less plump today?  Managed somehow to grab her, and shut her in the small coop next to the caravan.  She made no attempt to go to the kitten, just sat looking at it.

Got home, kitten was still alive, and cat was feeding it, thank goodness.  No more kittens though.  Went in the caravan to fill the feed dishes, turned round, and OMG ....in the fluffy cat bed was 5 kittens, black and white and one black one.  I was sure I had looked in the caravan that morning for more kittens, maybe not .....so scooped them up, and popped them in the coop with cat and other kitten.  Poor things I thought, left with no mum all day, but they looked clean, and contented, so no worries.

The following morning, now here is where I really got confused ......looked in the coop, and what did I see?  ELEVEN KITTENS.  The cat was feeding some, and washing the others.  The penny then dropped .....the kitten outside, and the ones in the fluffy bed, did not belong to this cat at all.  She had had her own overnight, but was looking after the others I had put in.

I came to the conclusion that the black and white fluffy cat, who is so hairy I could not see she was in kitten, had the kitten outside, plus the ones in the fluffy bed.  I had taken her kittens and given them away to another cat!!!

Hastily put them back in the fluffy bed.......thankfully cat took them back ok, but later moved them into the cupboard above the sink.  She sat on two somehow, so has three.

Phew, thank goodness that was sorted.

This weekend, the inside cat gave us a surprise, when she had three kittens.  Not a nice surprise, as she chose the basket where my old teddy lives, so have had to find her a new box for her kittens.  One white with black and ginger head, one like mum (black and ginger) and a very nice ginger and white.

So we have a dozen kittens now :D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Roxy has more kittens .......
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 03:46:33 pm »
 :o   12  :cat:s  !!

no more for me thanks!  4 is more than enough...    ::)   ;D

what will happen with your move? will you be able to take them, or do they come with the farm?
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 03:55:44 pm »
 :D  Oh, Little Blue, your two have three brothers or sisters - two black and white, and one all black.  Born the same day as the others, but they are enormous in size.

Oh, they will come with me, somehow, cannot leave them behind.  I will be able to walk down the lane and feed them in their caravan, twice a day. The house is empty, so not affecting anyone. Just worry that some thugs may see the place is empty and come at night and harm the kittens though.

Will leave them here until we actually have a new house - it will be hard moving them as it is, so once is enough!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 04:28:03 pm »
DONT TELL ME!!!!
 :))
and when/if you sell them, and say they are outdoor ratters... think our two must have been last in line!!  the instinct is there but they like nothing better than a cuddle and warm knee - even if I've just perched on a feedbin to catch my breath!

they are lovely- natured cats, even if mum is feral. so hope this lot are the same  :)
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 06:05:21 pm »
Give them time - their natural instinct will be there to catch vermin. The lady I work for, has two cats, our kittens from a couple of years ago.  They spend their days lounging on the sofa or on the beds, but she says the amount of mice and rats they bring to the house (yep, front hall, and downstairs utility where the cat flap are!) is amazing.  She says they are the best hunters she could hope for.  Your kittens are from the same family, and very similar looking too.

One lady had a kitten to catch mice in her cellar.  It was the size your two were when they came to you.  Two weeks later she brought it back and said she did not want it......it was playing with the mice, not catching them.  I explained that it was still a baby, and  thats what cats do anyway, play with mice before killing......she said she did not want it if it could not catch mice NOW!!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 06:54:43 pm »
:))

little Alfie has a cotton toy he carries round like a dog, even takes it outside to play with... NObody can touch it!
and he took a dead mouse of one of the others, and after many hours play.. ate it!
so I know they'll be great mouser/ratters... in their own sweet time  :)
Little Blue

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 07:11:09 pm »
12 cats! :o

Are you keeping them all or re-homeing them?

I would love to have some kittens, but my poor cat is now 12 and is still in shock at the arrival of the kids ruining her pampered life - I dont feel it's fair to bring 2 kittens in as well - and I do want 2 at a time so they can play together  ;D

Plus, possibly not fair on the kittens until my kids are old enough not to try to eat them  ;)

ser3dan

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 09:13:48 pm »
Oh no! My girlfriend has seen this post..........  ;)  :D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 09:21:10 pm »
if  they're like their brothers... they'll make fantastic pets!
soft as brushes, our two   :) but with the killer instinct...
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 02:08:04 pm »
Will be available for rehoming mid Setember.  No internet connection now, so will need to be by phone if you want a kitten!!

Little Blue has my mobile number - I think!!  I am sure she will not mind pm'ing it to interested people, for me.

Black and white, one all black, white with black heads and tails, and some smaller ones ready end of September or thereabout - tortoishell and white, white with tortie head, and a lovely ginger and white one. 

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 09:23:41 pm »
Little Blue has my mobile number - I think!!  I am sure she will not mind pm'ing it to interested people, for me.

I have, and I don't!   :)    they sound gorgeous....   
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS