Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broody black rock - what are my chances?  (Read 4028 times)

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
Broody black rock - what are my chances?
« on: August 06, 2010, 09:11:45 am »
Hi all  :wave:

I have a black rock that's gone broody in the past, but I've taken the eggs away and she's given up after a couple of days. However, this time she's been a bit more persistent so I've given her 6 eggs to sit on. I know the breed aren't renowned for their model motherhood, but I was wondering if anyone had been successful with them?

I also have a buff orpie that has gone broody so she's sitting on eggs, and if the BR deserts hers I will hopefully be able to transfer them to the buff!

Sharon

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Broody black rock - what are my chances?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 11:39:50 am »
I have had at least 3 Black Rocks which have successfully hatched chicks.  The first did so inside a tyre  ;D and only one chick eventually emerged, but she did sit for the required time, out in the wild.  The second  hatched 8 and they lived in my polytunnel destroying the crops for several months before she finally wandered off.  The third shared a nest box with a Scots Grey and between them they hatched a grand total of two chicks.  They went round as a team for weeks - two hens and two chicks - until finally the BR gave up when they were about independant.  The SG gave up a couple of weeks later.  So not huge success but it does show that they can sit and hatch
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 02:33:25 pm »
That's good to know - thank you!  :)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 02:35:22 pm »
I had one that hatched guinea fowl so had to sit a bit longer (I believe?) than normal.

she's called Chicken Tikka and is a funny little thing - she helps me dig potatoes up and is very good at it  ;D
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 03:53:17 pm »
Bless! Have you still got the guinea fowl? Noisy things!  ;D

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 04:46:58 pm »
they are aren't they?! always make scarlett cry when I take her to dom fowl trust!! no, they weren't ours - we lent tikka to sit on someone elses clutch because unlike most of my broodies, she was impossible to break out of it!! at least I know that when we do want her to sit on some eggs she'll be a good'n (hopefully!!)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 05:04:38 pm »
I saw a black rock at weekend, and she had 13 nice chicks with her, so she had a good success rate.

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 05:23:39 pm »
13  :o

I thought 6 was ambitious!  ;)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 05:33:29 pm »
Oh, she had 19 - which included the  5 "adopted" copper black marans, which I bought .......super hen, eh?  6 would be a doddle for her  to handle :D

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 06:37:08 pm »
What a girl! She desreves a 'Mum of the Year' award!  :o

meebh

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 08:05:13 pm »
Hi

We have had 2 broodies this year with very successful hatchings and exceptional mothers and ........ they are both black rocks!!!

Supermums  :wave:

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 08:18:37 pm »
Well I candled the eggs at 12 days (sneekily while she was off having a poo!) and only 3 were fertile, so I took the three away, and I'm happy to say she has hatched the other three today - 1 Buff-O and 2 RIR's.

What a good mum!  ;D

Another BR has gone Broody so I've given her 4 RIR eggs to sit on. I also have a broody Buff-O due to hatch 4 on Monday. All go here!  ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS