Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: horse starting to drop weight  (Read 11586 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Re: horse starting to drop weight
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 06:26:46 pm »

Our big boy is 17hh and gets half a scoop of boiled barley added to his feed twice a day in winter apart from that he gets course mix, alfa A and beet pulp. He is on hay as we have very good hay but often towards the end of winter he will go onto haylage. When he was younger and competing he was on oats, alfa A, Blue chip and haylage but is now just a hack so course mix suits him fine.
Anne

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 07:34:05 am »
Ok going today to get his new diet I  have already started adding barley as it has been wet and cold this week and he seems to love it. I have upped his actual meals to 3 times a day at the moment it seems just to be going through him as the muck run has gone from a barrow a day to two but that us ok. I am going to get a supplement to help his digestion and see if that helps him keep weight on.
By the time winter is out I will have to get a small mortgage lol but he is worth every penny just for his companionship

XxhoofprintsxX

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 09:48:46 pm »
hey, i had the same problem with an Arab that I shared. I used pink powder which really helped, a good whole scoop in each feed - maybe more - really useful. Also, I was advised to cook rice and add that into the feed to bulk it up...I never got the chance to try it but i think it would work. You could also feed more hay throughout the day when he is in his field as he doesn't have much grazing. Hope that helped!

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 09:55:17 pm »
Pink Powder ??? tell me more????  whats the manufactuers name??
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 09:57:34 pm »
There is also a supplement Equitive body builder which i sell to alot of my customers and they tell me works very well,have pasted info from spillers website.

A unique concentrated non-heating conditioning pellet that can make a visible difference in as little as 2 weeks
An effective alternative to those traditional, high starch weight gain feeds that usually lead to excitability
Concentrated in a high calorie milk pellet, with quality protein to build topline without excitability
The most effective conditioner for safe and rapid weight gain
Can be used to supplement the diet of orphan foals but is not a milk replacer
Feed mixed with hard food - do not mix with water
Packed in 2kg and 15 kg tubs in pellet form
Suitable for horses competing under Jockey Club or FEI rules

cairnhill

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 10:19:33 pm »
Pink Powder is made by Naff and is called "Pink Powder"  :)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 05:36:40 pm »
Could it be the cold wet weather. I found my two Shetland colts standing in the field shelter shaking with cold the other day. I have started them back on feed that I would not be giving usually until October. I am loathed to start rugging this early as they are only starting to get their winter coat. Grass has been very poor this year, slow to grow and not much goodness in it.  :horse:

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 06:11:40 pm »
how odd ours are all shall we say plump. are they normally out or do you stable them. i really hope we don't have to start feeding ours so soon. they could do with a little less wobble. ours are not bothered by the weather. plenty of peat banks and stone walls to hide behind.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 06:50:16 pm »
Well he is on his new diet of Dobson and Horrell build up mix about half more than recomended for a few weeks along with chaff and haylage (can't get good quality hay at the moment)
I have had him rugged for the last couple of weeks to keep off the rain and cold at night, his teeth have been checked again just in case and they are fine (worming is up o date). So fingers crossed this will help him as he is looking very lean now good news is he isn't a fussy eater and just tucks into anything you put down to him, I just wish I could stable him for part of the day but he stresses so much it isn't worth it and the stable walls just can't take it and he is to tall for the stone barn.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 07:04:50 pm »

I personally do not feed chaff as I think it is a complete waste of money, I much prefer alfa A as it has feed value. Chaff is ok if you just want to add bulk.
Anne

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2010, 07:18:37 pm »
I have a bag of both as I personally do not like m-chaff it is just so dry and yuk so he gets chaff in the morning and alpha in the evening.
He is used to getting a bucket of chaff for breakfast from his last home and gets a bit put out if he doesn't get it difference is now he has meal with it and alpha with his meal in the evenings and haylage to munch during the day.
I have getting him a mineral tubby instead of his usual lick to see if that helps as well, I now have to put his buckets in the wheel barrow at meal times as they are too heavy to carry all the way to the field, my friend laughed and said would it not be easier to just mix it all together and feed him from the barrow ;D i know where she is coming from when you see the amount he has to have at the moment.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 11:10:20 am by ellisr »

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2010, 11:32:18 pm »
Top spec ive heard is really good for tbreds, my boy will be on it this winter as he didnt do to well last winter  ;)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 11:48:25 am »
Well Blue is doing good and I can say he likes his new diet and is extremely eager to see me with his bucket. He doesn't leave a drop even if he spills a bit he hoovers the ground until it is all gone.
I now just have to wait and see if his weight is going to go back on.

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2010, 05:34:15 pm »
Great to hear itl  ;) A happy boy then  :wave:

Samantha

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Bristol
    • Merry Meet
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2010, 05:36:11 pm »
I have an anglo arab and when she started to drop weight we fed her sugar beet ... you soak it overnight and put it in with their normal feed .. worked a treat :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS