Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how to wash fleece?  (Read 10491 times)

redfox

• Joined Aug 2008
how to wash fleece?
« on: September 11, 2008, 12:51:54 pm »
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to handwash sheep fleece and Mohair? I used eco-friendly detergent last time but i could not get the fleeces to look white, more of a champagne colour.

I also left one fleece in the shed unwashed. It has been there since February, 7 months. Have i left it too late to wash it, shouldi compost it or can i still wash it. I'd heard that its best to wash straight away to get rid of the lanolin in the fleece. Am i still able to salvage it, or would i be wasting my time?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Redfox

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: how to wash fleece?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 04:44:58 pm »
No problem!

All 'white' fleece really is champagne coloured! To make it really white optical brightners are used!

Wash in a large sinkful of hand hot water with soap flakes and washing soda mixed and squeeze but be gentle, do not agitate! (make sure you remove all grot, debris and poo before washing!)
Rinse in similar temp water until clear, might need 2 washes.

use spin dryer to remove water NOT the washing machine as it will tumble it first and cause felting.

Dry on a rack.

Always store wool in the grease rather than unwashed as it keeps better! Your fleece will be fine!
However always store in breathable sacks never in plastic bags.
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

redfox

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 11:29:17 am »
Thanks for the reply,

I'm glad to hear that  i haven't let a fleece go to waste. What did you mean by 'keep fleece in the grease rather than unwashed' what does in the grease mean?

I've been spinning the fleece in a salad drainer, which i recommend, then drying on a rack.

Thanks so much for advice!

Redfox

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 02:55:37 pm »
Sorry.....typo I meant store in the grease rather than washed!!!!

It would take me hours using a salad spinner but I'm sure that for small quantities its superb :)
www.valgrainger.co.uk

witsun farm

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 06:17:24 pm »
may I extend the question(s)?
- we have dozens of fleeces to go to a small scale commercial spinner.
- we need to assure them that the fleeces do not contain certain compounds
- these compounds can be removed by rinsing.
- we have thought that the process of rinsing is quite demanding and we may as well think about washing
- rinsing and washing require placing the fleeces in water (and with detergent if washing). we can cope with that.
- drying is the issue exercising us at the moment. We do not want (say) a 100 fleeces left to air dry in English weather.... how long will they take?
- so I thought: use a dehumidifier.

any comments?

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 07:19:38 pm »
As a smale scale commercial processor myself can I ask who on earth suggested you rinse and dry them :o :o It is almost impossible to rinse out pour ons.........they are rain proof and designed to stay active on wet sheep

However if last years fleeces the pour ons will be fairly harmless by now........unless organo phosphate dips.

If you have 100 fleeces you will have enough to send to a large commercial scourer like Chadwicks in Bradford who will wash anything!!! (minimum amount 250kg)

I reccommend you sort this out with the processor as what you have been told to do is impractical and daft! You could well ruin the fleeces which have to be washed and dried quickly or they rot if left wet!..........and spinning out the water and drying that quantity of fleeceby hand is.....well......difficult. Do NOT use your washing machine or they will be ruined!

If we can help let me know, we have a small commercial scourer which we are taking bookings for and whilst I very rarely promote my business openly on here I think you may need some help!

www.valgrainger.co.uk

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 07:47:21 pm »
I have always found it easier to spin in the grease and then wash the skeins. It spins more easily, although it can be a bit more messy and your spinning wheel will get grubby.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 04:44:51 pm by VSS »
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 10:47:49 pm »
I have always found it easier to spin in the grease and then wash the skeins. It spins more easily, although it can be a bit more messy anf your soinnign wheel will get grubby.

Hand spinning a fleece in the grease is certainly easier......however commercial equipment such as huge carders and the like cannot do wool in the grease as it would clog up and jam causing thousands of pounds worth of damage :o Must be washed first!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS