Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ram and collie ? can anyone advise me if there will be conflict?  (Read 1676 times)

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
If I get a ram to run with my ewes this autumn will it react to my dog? southdown ram? anyone know if I will have any problems please?

regards

Andy    :sheep:
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
Re: Ram and collie ? can anyone advise me if there will be conflict?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 11:34:53 pm »
does the dog work the sheep ? does the ram work with the dog? if not  then there could be conflict and then that could be a risk to the dog as i seen a ram kill itself fighting

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
Re: Ram and collie ? can anyone advise me if there will be conflict?
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 03:04:36 pm »
our collie (pet, but was trained as a pup and ended up in dogs home somehow) spends her entire day sorting out the chickens, not chasing, just rounds them up all day long, (they dont seem to mind, and lay well).
when we had ponies in the field she did it with them too, got a pair of heels in her face when got too cheeky, and would retreat.
then we had calves in the field, didn't particularly bother with them.

then came 4 tupps.....she did try a couple of times to organise them, but they faced her and then did their own thing. now, she doesn't even give them a 2nd glance.

i am planning at some stage to add a couple of geese to our menagerie.....should be interesting!
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS