Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hi, im Andy and hopefully starting a new southdown flock this autumn  (Read 2177 times)

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
over the next few months I really hope that I will gets some tips and pointers from experianced shepards, all will be appreciated, ive had plenty of past experiance with dairy cattle, now with my own flooring business 20 years later and some land at my daughters stables that we are able to use with a holding number and 10 store lambs which will go to the abattoir this Oct, I am hoping to move onto the next step to gain a unique flock number from AHO, looking at southdowns.

Is there any local shepards in the maidstone/sevenoaks areas? if so look forward to some comunication.

One question to kick  off would be should I buy a ram? what costs would I expect? I realise I need to remove him for a period so he doesnt  get his wicked way with any ewe lambs, would anyone like to add anything?

all appreciated

Andy
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Re: hi, im Andy and hopefully starting a new southdown flock this autumn
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 10:11:07 pm »

Hi and welcome from the Scottish Borders, I have 6 shetland ewes and always just borrow a ram as I don't have enough land to be able to keep one away from my ewes. I would not want to keep one on his own either so would need to keep a wether as company and that would just be more expense feeding and shearing etc. BUT I am by no means experienced and i am sure that you will get replies from many who are.  :wave:
Anne

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 10:22:03 pm »
Hi Anne

Thanks for your reply, I think I may have trouble getting a ram when I need one?

may I ask you another question? do you use a dog? I am wondering can I still use my dog with a ram in the flock? >:( will the ram go for my dog?

andy

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 08:16:34 am »
We did hire a ram but loved him so much bought him. :)  Also, we don't have a trailer and would have to pay transport costs every year.  We only have to keep him separated from the ewes for about 6-8 weeks, and we have a ram lamb to keep him company.  He can still see the ewes through the fence and so far doesn't destroy everything to get to them.  He is fine with newborn lambs too so everyone can stay together most of the time. We have Ryelands.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 01:59:38 pm »

Hi Andy I don't use a dog as I have very fiesty sheep, first time we got a friend with his dog in to round them up they chased the dog all over the field, but there is no reason why you can't use one with a ram. My sheep come "most" of the time just to a rattling bucket of feed.
Anne

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 03:35:49 pm »
hello and welcome  :)
Little Blue

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 07:03:23 pm »
how hard is the dog on the sheep as we have a dog that is to hard and is better as a cow dog our sheep dog is a good hard dog on the sheep she can handle the feistiest sheep  she will grip on command and does a good job she is old now though but as she is used to it and the sheep are used to the dog they get on fine if you get a ram find out if its worked with a dog if it has then it should be ok but like most people will say never trust your ram  ours nearly broke my dads leg like a twig so thats why i get involved with the handling as i think my bones are younger and easier to fix  but if you think you dog is good on sheep and the new sheep/ram have been worked by dogs then your on to a winner. around wiltshire area i saw a southdown ram priced at £350 how much did you have in mind on it? il have an ask about at market next week see if there is any going about. matty

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 07:43:46 pm »
cheers matty

very helpful, i will have to make sure the ram is used to dogs, maybe i should take a trip to market to see what accurring with the prices...

my dog is not that hard on the sheep, hes not a pro really hes 7 but his first real experiance with sheep they all have a level of natural herding but i could see that he maybe caught unawares as hes a bit green.

i really should try and get a loan but its finding someone who has one spare in late november because i want late lambs next year.

speak soon

andy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS