Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hens won't go to bed  (Read 3326 times)

rorsa

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Rainford, Merseyside
Hens won't go to bed
« on: September 11, 2008, 10:33:43 am »
A few weeks ago I dispatched our cockerel as he had become very aggressive. Since then one of the hens goes to bed as usual. The other 4 perch on top of the hen house. Clearly the cockerel was the one who got them all to bed. It is proving a real pain having to lift the 4 hens into the house each night. Anyone got any ideas as to how I get them to put themselves to bed?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Hens won't go to bed
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 07:01:48 pm »
Get another cockerel?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 08:56:02 pm »
Now THAT's a good idea! ;)  He'll want to get to bed first and if he's good looking the girls will follow him in! ;D

I gather they are easy to come by too.  I'd have one too but I value my neighbours.  Anyone know if there is such a thing as a 'crowless' cockerel? ;)
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 11:03:41 pm »
Yes - I believe they are a strain called oven ready!
Ian

redfox

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 11:50:50 pm »
Hello,

This is just a thought...do you know whether or not you have rats going into the hen house at night? If so, maybe the cockeral would scare the rats off. Maybe the hens are stressed out from rats?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS