Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking Ahead 2011 shows  (Read 3452 times)

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
Looking Ahead 2011 shows
« on: August 22, 2010, 08:41:20 pm »
so, what are the best goat shows to attend in 2011 in Scotland. When I say best, I mean and in order of importance! - best facilities, classes then prizes  :-*

i plan to do the Highland Show, and Black Isle again, I will have 2 goatlings & hopefully 2 more kids (or more :love: )

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Looking Ahead 2011 shows
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 10:14:02 pm »
If your list of importance is topped by faciities- then The Royal Highland is not number 1 on the list!

In terms of prestige in the goat world in Scotland, it is THE important one. Are you worried about distance? And are you looking for agricultural only, or recognised only?

The recognised ones in Scotland are:

2nd weekend in May- Ayr Country (back to back double show)
Last weekend in May- SGF & HGC at Forfar (back to back double show)
2nd weekend June- Angus show/ Grampian Goat Club at Brechin
Late June- Royal Highland Show- runs from the Thurs to the Sun of the last weekend in June. Goats have to be there from Wed- Sun eve.
2nd weekend July- Ayr Club show
2nd Weekend July- Laverham? Not sure how it's spelt, but it's near Wick I believe!
Last Fri/Sat in July- Border Union show at Kelso
First weekend in August- Dumfries Show
First week in August- HGC/ Black Isle. (back to back double show)
3rd or 4th weekend in August- SGF & Aberdeen & Angus shows at Forfar (back to back double show)

Border Union is a lovely show, and Forfar is always good. You get fed breakfast, there is electricity, hot water available etc. I like the shows in Ayr as well- a really good social side (involving large quanties of alcohol).

Beth

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 12:40:31 pm »
Hi - I've not been but I think there was goat classes at Perth Show - Sat 7th Aug 2010 this year
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 12:58:46 pm »
There are indeed classes at Perth show for goats, along with many other agricultural shows. I will try and put together a list of them... It won't be a full list because it can be hard to know which ones have goat classes outwith my area.

Fife Show (3rd sat in May)
Central and West Fife (second sat in June)
Doune and Dunblane (1st sat in July)
Kirriemuir (I think its the 3rd sat in July)
Braco/ Ardoch (3rd or 4th sat in July depending how many Sat's are in the month)
Wigtown (last Wed in July I think?!)
Perth (1st Sat in August- a BGS Diploma show)
Turriff (beginning of August- not sure exactly when)
Kinross (2nd Sat in August)
Glenkens (2nd Sat in August)
Strathaven (1st sat in september)

There are other shows- there are quite a few in the south west, but I'm not sure when they all are and which ones have goats. The shows I have listed will generally have classes for White and coloured goats (Milker, Goatling and Kid classes). There aren't seperate breed classes for your BT's. At some of those shows there will be classes for Anglo-Nubian's as well as White and Coloured.

Beth

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 04:53:52 pm »
you are a star Beth! that is just the sort of info I was looking for,

I have to arrange the goat showing to fit in around the horses I am showing, so its a jiggle here and there! I take horses every year the RHS so the goats will be a bonus for is, and give OH a chance to come & participate rather than staying at home (he is not keen on helping with the horses!)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 09:43:44 am »
Look forward to seeing you again - what shows are you hoping to get to? Clare
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 09:28:27 pm »
Hi Clare  ;D

hopefully get to a few shows next year, especially Angus (as its a seperate day from horses), RHS, Perth (as warm up for horses is rubbish) and Black Isle (that was fab show) and maybe Turra again! What are your plans? ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS