Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dispatching Chicks  (Read 3790 times)

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
Dispatching Chicks
« on: August 20, 2010, 08:06:44 pm »
On the lines of the other dispatching thread, i came across a wee problem last night.

I had 4 x 2 wk old LS cockrels i needed to dispatch & i'd been puting it off for a week, so decided the time was right late yesterday evening.

I'd never had to do it before, so read up on how to do the dasterdly deed online...... strangely enough there's nothing on you tube    ::)

So, i took the cockrels out one by one, got it into position & pulled..... pulled a wee bit harder to make sure & lets just say i ended up with a red mess on my jeans ...  even though i have a strong stomach, i almost barfed.

Take 2 .... didn't pull quite as hard, but there was still some tearing of flesh ...sorry to be so graphic folks.

Stuff that i thought, the other 2 went the same way as we used on the farm kittens many moons ago

Not a happy bunny today.

They were all put back to Mother Nature today in the veg patch.

Question, is there an easier way of doing this deed, how does everyone else do it.

bamford6

Re: Dispatching Chicks
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 10:07:33 am »
the vet 10 pounds or with gun best bet is co2 gas

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 11:00:35 am »
losing the head is not a big deal. just try not to get the blood on your jeans.

Shovel

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 05:18:15 pm »
I hold them with the breast facing the palm of my hand and knock their head against something solid. Think this is as quick a method as any as long as you don't faff about (how do you spell "faff" lol) and hit them hard. Cheers

Hardfeather

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 08:53:39 pm »
And after you've stunned them, as above, you position their necks on the edge of a hard shelf and, with your thumb and a solid push, you sever their neck vertebrae.

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 08:13:42 am »
And after you've stunned them, as above, you position their necks on the edge of a hard shelf and, with your thumb and a solid push, you sever their neck vertebrae.
Exactly what I was going to say - I've done it  :( and it's easy - no mess

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 02:16:02 pm »
That's a thought guys, thanks for that.

Anything's better than the messy route   ::)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 04:51:06 pm »
cats.

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 05:49:52 pm »
A sharp hand axe is a good way for the squeamish.

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 11:17:20 pm »
If they are only two weeks-then they are still quite small. As a completely squeamish wimp- I line up their necks- using my finger and thumb with a pair of the large decorators scissors- hold the lot ofver a bag- and one quick snip- job done- quick and no mess- into a paper bag- into the bin.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS