Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice on trailers please!  (Read 8993 times)

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
Advice on trailers please!
« on: August 20, 2010, 12:41:16 pm »
I need some advice on a livestock trailer, we usually have a couple of pigs and up to 6 sheep to transport (not at the same time!!) Am I right in thinking that a 10ft trailer would be ok? Also do you have to transport in a livestock trailer or can they go in a horse box (this would be to the abattoir) I am thinking probably not, but dont know for sure.
Third question, does anyone in the oxon glos wilts area know where to buy second hand trailers from??? We are not in prime smallholder country and it is proving very frustrating trying to find one!!

Thanks in advance

Dawn

HappyHippy

Re: Advice on trailers please!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 04:22:18 pm »
Hi Dawn,
I would think a 10ft trailer would be ample big enough for a couple of pigs or 6 sheep. As for the horse box to the abbetior - I don't see why not, providing it can be washed out and disinfected properly. To be 100% certain give your local abbetior a phone and ask.
As for 2nd hand trailers - ebay, agricultural suppliers maybe ? local free ad papers (up here we have the 'scottish farmer' magazine, maybe something similar in your area) as a last resort you could even try some trailer stockists and see if they ever have 2nd hand ones to sell.
HTH
Karen

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 08:33:00 pm »
10 ft is what we got and we get a good 20-25 sheep in there and there is plenty of room so for a few sheep and pigs thats is plenty big enough for you id say. i think by law it has to  be passed to carry livestock and then you can use it as look at countryfiles adam henson he takes his sheep out in his l200 so get it passed for livestock by your local minerstry and it should be ok. il have a word about as i know a few people in wilts to il see if anything is about

old ploughman

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 09:27:44 pm »
If you can, buy a new one - you will pay almost new price for a decent second-hand. When you sell yours you will lose very little money and have had piece of mind whilst you run it.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 06:19:34 pm »
The problem with a horse box is the absence of proper livestock gates. Bum bars ain't going to keep the pigglies in while you shut the ramp  ;D

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 06:44:15 pm »
I often transport sheep and  cattle in a horse box. For the sheep I take out the divider and put hurdles across the back so that when the tail gait is opened they cant run out and to use as gaits beside the ramp.

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 01:25:50 pm »
There's a good market in second hand horse boxes. This works both ways. There is a good choice when you want to buy and it's fairly easy to sell at a good price when you don't need the trailer any more.

NN
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 07:25:22 pm »
i'm also looking for a secondhand livestock trailer, so if anyone knows of anyone selling one in the fife/tayside/central areas please let me know.  many thanks

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 05:02:05 pm »
I got a 7ft x 4 ft trailer for £250 and made my own top for it out of wood and sheet steel.
It fits 2 pigs or ten sheep but is too low for cattle. As I said before I use a horse box for cattle. I have also used a cattle trailer for horses before with no problems.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 06:25:43 pm »
I got a 7ft x 4 ft trailer for £250 and made my own top for it out of wood and sheet steel.
It fits 2 pigs or ten sheep but is too low for cattle. As I said before I use a horse box for cattle. I have also used a cattle trailer for horses before with no problems.

humphreymctush - are you anywhere near me (Fife) and would you do one for me if i paid you please?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 10:47:18 am »
We have got the small Ivor Williams, and bought it new five years ago. It will hopefully last us as long as we need it. I have also found that for a bigger trailer I would need a bigger car, currently my 1.9TDi Skoda estate does it all, but only just (if two or three large pigs are in it...).

It is quite versatile, we can take the livestock roof off and fit side mesh for carrying high loads (15 square bales of hay fit well) and large round bales (1 at a time).
I would echo the advice and buy new if at all possible and think about versatility - ours is used a lot for carrying all the wood we need for building sheds, fences etc.

I know there are quite a few people who use horse boxes for taking to the abbattoir, so it should be fine.

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 04:01:01 pm »
egglady, I am in Orkney

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 04:51:01 pm »
egglady, I am in Orkney

ah well that puts paid to that idea then!!!  lovely though i elieve orkney to be, it s a bit far for a trailer....

Le Recoignot

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 08:17:07 pm »
Are there any farm dispersal sales coming up in your area?

belgianblue

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 08:57:01 pm »
TRUCK OR TRAILER:  if you buy an truck how many times are you going to use it, if you use it a few times a year, hence the brakes sieze up.

trailers:  two types: wheels underneath the trailer, wider body.
wheels on the outside, narrow body.

my advice with 2nd hand trailers is to get them service by an trailer centre.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS