Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: herbs  (Read 11431 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
herbs
« on: August 20, 2010, 09:56:56 am »
having had quite a good success with my small herb garden I decided to try and freeze small batches to use over the winter. Wither it works and they keep their taste I will find out when i go to use them.  :)

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
Re: herbs
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 08:16:24 pm »
drying them is easier as if you get it wrong they go to mush...
infuse oil with them is good to

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 01:24:25 pm »
I freeze a lot of herbs in ice cube trays and when all frozen I keep them in an old ice cream tub in the freezer.

I pack as much as I can into the ice cube holders then cover with water and wait until set. I find this particularly good for basil an parsley which I use in soups and speghetti sauces all winter

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 06:30:53 pm »
Will have a go at both methods,  :)

Mickyork

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Yeadingham, North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 12:04:40 am »
I freeze herbs in usable sized bunches. And also chop them & pack into ice cube trays. I mix the amount of herbs & spices needed for whatever I'm making & freeze together. Then when making soups you just drop the amount of cubes you need straight in.
Live for today. Tomorrow never comes

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 07:01:05 pm »
I always chop parsley and coriander and sling it in the freezer.  I make pesto with all my basils and freeze it in useable quantities for pasta the whole year through.

Talbert121

• Joined Nov 2010
  • LA
  • Just looking around.
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 11:30:58 am »
An herb is a plant that is valued for flavor, scent, medicinal or other qualities other than its food value.[1] Herbs are used in cooking, as medicines, and for spiritual purposes.

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 11:42:25 am »
An herb is a plant that is valued for flavor, scent, medicinal or other qualities other than its food value.[1] Herbs are used in cooking, as medicines, and for spiritual purposes.

errrr wot! and the point is?

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 07:47:11 pm »

errrr wot! and the point is?
There are a number of options here ... the one I'm leaning towards is that Talbert121 is a particular breed of spambot designed to get around the problem of blogs using a comment system along the lines of "first comment from a user must be moderated - further comments are posted automatically". Hence the use of generic text based on the thread topic which doesn't really fit the conversation - have a look at the other two comments they've posted elsewhere.

But as I say, there are other options and I welcome correction by Talbert121!

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 07:20:17 am »
...............perhaps some should learn to be a little more forgiving of new posters just putting a toe into the water as it were.............some of us may less fortunate and less articulate with the skills of the written word :-\

BTT.........i love herbs and have grown with varying degrees of success for a number of years...........mint   a law unto itself you can't really fail with......flat leaf parsley   limited success.....basil bit tricky tho worth the effort.....sage good.....rosemary good......thymes good but tend to go a bit woody....not sure why............french tarragon   ...disaster darling.............dill good.....chervil..epic fail ???.......anyone any secrets they'd like to share or advice in my quest for a better herb garden?? ;D  thanks in anticipation

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 09:34:17 am »
...............perhaps some should learn to be a little more forgiving of new posters just putting a toe into the water as it were.............some of us may less fortunate and less articulate with the skills of the written word :-\
talbert was not a person, it was a spam bot - this is a growing trend in the style of spam bot designed to get around wordpress style configurations where the first post needs to be manually approved and then subsequent posts go through automatically. On a system, such as wordpress, where you can often submit by providing only name, email and a url without the need to register, the name would almost certainly also link to an extremely dodgy website you would not want to visit.

This has nothing to do with being "forgiving" of new posters, but rather a lot to do with keeping up with the current trend of threat on the internet. Have a look at the three posts made - a few minutes apart and none actually relevant to the topic in question. The text is generated by auto-matching keywords in the topic to a generic statement intended to look, pointless, but at least relevant. In all three cases this time, it has failed.

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 10:08:45 am »
That told me.

And from my perspective a fairly unforgiving and intolerant answer.

For the most part i enjoy reading the topics and posts on here from a largely welcoming and hugely informative community.Shame you had nothing to say about the topic.:((

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 10:28:55 am »
And from my perspective a fairly unforgiving and intolerant answer.

For the most part i enjoy reading the topics and posts on here from a largely welcoming and hugely informative community.Shame you had nothing to say about the topic.:((
Yes. I am extremely unforgiving and intolerant of spam and scam artists.  The nature of what they do might have something to do with that.

I did, however, try to inform and educate on this type of scam by pointing out the general structure and a few things to look for in the hope fewer people might be caught out as a result. I can only hope that others are willing to allow themselves to learn from what I've said instead of insulting someone trying to help while defending a spam bot in the process.

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 10:36:13 am »
.........nicely put this time...............i stand corrected

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 02:16:27 pm »
Hmmm, ok guys... both make fair points but enough now.

Back on topic, good ways to store herbs:

Dry upside down in a paper bags (to prevent dust gathering) then crumble and store in old empty herb jars, or for Bouquet Garni place several types of the dried herbs in little homemade muslin bags, tie with kitchen string and store in an airtight jar for future use as and when.

Place in ice cubes, freeze, use when needed by simply adding a cube to the recipe.

Take whole stems and place in vinegar or oil to flavour (looks pretty too).

:)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS