Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is there anything  (Read 5463 times)

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
Re: Is there anything
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 06:54:18 pm »
i have never had chickens that young so wouldnt like to say but i cant see why you cant just hang them a bit lower and perhaps slighly smaller cabbages or even just a bundle of salad leaves, whatever you have, no harm in trying i suppose  :-\

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 07:32:48 pm »
Don't forget the chick grit!

storm35

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 07:39:37 pm »
Don't forget the chick grit!

Chick grit?? Was not told about any of that, what is it and why do they need it? Where will i get it, never saw any at dobbies?
Thank you

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 07:11:16 am »
I think it's generally flint, but it's much smaller than the normal grit you get for chooks. Most farm supplies will sell it. It acts as their teeth and helps them grind up stuff - particularly important when they start eating greens, foraging etc

Birdie Wife

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 12:07:44 pm »
I have an arrangement of various sized logs and large stones in my broody run, which I make into something like a mini assault course. They love climbing on things and playing 'King of the Castle'. I change the arrangement every other week, but they are feathered up enough to run with the rest of the hens by 4 weeks old. Hanging lettuce or cabbage is good too, and the odd raspberry from the garden is fought over with tenacity  ;D

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 08:37:53 pm »
hang an onion sack full of veg just in reach, or get a large haggis wheel these are a lot bigger than a hamster wheel and are used to excersise haggis but are big enough for hens, the bars are closer together.

just thinking of haggis's on a wheel.   ;D

storm35

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 08:42:41 pm »
I think it's generally flint, but it's much smaller than the normal grit you get for chooks. Most farm supplies will sell it. It acts as their teeth and helps them grind up stuff - particularly important when they start eating greens, foraging etc

Thank you, so how much do i add, do i just sprinkle this on the sawdust? What do i ask for grit for chicks?

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 08:53:40 pm »
Oyster shell grit is probably best and mixed in with feed along with a separate pot full. I also feed egg shells back that have been cooked and crushed up real fine. My birds are 5 months old tho'.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

storm35

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 09:39:59 pm »
Oyster shell grit is probably best and mixed in with feed along with a separate pot full. I also feed egg shells back that have been cooked and crushed up real fine. My birds are 5 months old tho'.

Ian

So if i find a supplier of oyster shell, put some in the feed and extra bowl of it on its own? Is this safe for ducklings aswell?

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 08:33:24 am »

Ian

So if i find a supplier of oyster shell, put some in the feed and extra bowl of it on its own? Is this safe for ducklings aswell?

I've only got chooks so I can't say about ducks. Your local pet shop should sell the grit......we do!

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2010, 08:59:30 am »
You need to get grit specifically for chicks if they are very young - oyster shell isn't small enough and may choke them - unless you can be bothered to grind it up !
You can buy chick grit by the scoopful in our local farm supplies. My chicks have this until they are about 7 weeks old.

storm35

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2010, 09:11:54 am »
You need to get grit specifically for chicks if they are very young - oyster shell isn't small enough and may choke them - unless you can be bothered to grind it up !
You can buy chick grit by the scoopful in our local farm supplies. My chicks have this until they are about 7 weeks old.
Thank you, i was never told about grit, will it be ok for the duck aswell?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS