Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Too many blackberries!  (Read 7522 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Too many blackberries!
« on: August 17, 2010, 07:58:31 pm »
Help!  :o

Any idea's that aren't crumble or jam anyone? Every hedgerow of our 15 acres is overrun with blackberries ... I have a little graze on the ones that are ready when I'm out with the horses but there are so many!

A couple of my liveries have been and taken well over 2lb's each but I'm stuck for idea's of what to make??

I'll do a few jars of jam and freez esome to make crumbles etc out of but is there anything else I can do with them?  ??? ;D

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: Too many blackberries!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 08:49:40 pm »

I make lots of bottles of Blackberry Vinegar.  It's sweet and sour and great used as a dressing for salad or something rich like duck.

# 1lb/450g ripe blackberries (brambles are better than cultivated)
# 1pt/560ml white wine vinegar
# 1 1/2 lb/675g granulated sugar

Put the blackberries in a deep bowl and pour the vinegar over them. Cover and leave to steep for five days, stirring occasionally. Strain the blackberries, pushing them down to extract as much juice as possible. Measure the deep purple vinegar and add a pound of sugar to each pint of juice (450g sugar to 570ml juice).

Heat gently until the sugar dissolves, then bring the mixture to the boil. Skim off any white froth or scum that rises, then pour into steralised bottles and seal.

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 09:31:26 pm »
sounds lovely.id like to make that myself    :yum:

Susie

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 09:32:43 pm »
Or blackberry chutney instead of jam?

500g blackberries, 150g caster sugar, 150g red onions, 3tbsp chopped root ginger, 2 tbsp dijon mustard, 150ml white wine vinegar

Chuck everything except the vinegar into a pan over a medium heat until the blackberries burst. Season. Add vinegar then simmer with no lid on for about 15 mins. Allow to cool then spoon into sterilised jars.

Tried this last year and it was great. Could also try throwing in a bramley apple if you have any.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 10:30:44 pm »
Too many blackberries?!!

Er....I have eaten about six ripe ones so far, and was thinking how early they were!!  End of August is early for us, and usually well into the first week in September.  Most are still red at the moment, and some are green!!  Anythng we grow up here, is well behind most of the country.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 10:34:46 pm »
blackberry gin?
Ian

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 12:45:18 am »
You can never have too many blackberries  :yum:   Blackberry wine? - takes about 4 lbs for a gallon I think.  Blackberry jelly?  Blackberry ice cream?   Summer pudding?  Freeze loads for the winter when they are not available.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 02:34:05 pm »
Brilliant thanks all!

Roxy I thought they were early too - we still ave thousands of red ones that are nowhere near ready but the ripe ones are getting more by the day!

Great idea's fleecewife - how would I go about making wine?!

Also what's the difference between brambles/blackberries?!  :-[

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 03:45:59 pm »
Brambles are the wild hedgerow berries, but you can also get cultivated thornless blackberries !

Sonia in Cornwall

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Helston, Cornwall
  • Meet Blue - our little bundle of chaos
    • Going Stress Free - our personal mission
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 11:24:06 am »
I made blackberry wine last year.  Very very easy to make.  I'm at work at the mo but will grab the recipe when I'm back home and post it up here. 

Also - have you got a chest freezer?  I freeze mine as they come ripe and then keep them until I work out what to do with them.  As long as you freeze them as soon as they're picked they don't seem to lose any flavour. 
"Often people attempt to live life backwards - they try to have more things, or more money, in order to do more of what they want, to be happier.  The way it really works is in reverse.  First be who you really are, then do what you need, in order to have what you want."  Margaret Young

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 02:31:01 pm »
Leave them for the birds who  nature intended them for. I leave half my rosehips for the birds and am rewarded by the passing migrations of  Scandanavian Bullfinches and Waxwings staying a few days in my garden.

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 02:00:24 am »
Yes please sonia! Where abouts in cornwall are you?

Hermit, I don't think the birds are going to miss out, there are way more than I could ever pick!

Sonia in Cornwall

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Helston, Cornwall
  • Meet Blue - our little bundle of chaos
    • Going Stress Free - our personal mission
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 10:23:12 am »
Sorry Loosey - just realised I'd forgotten all about it!   :-[  I'll do it this evening from home I promise. 

I'm in West Cornwall - near Helston. 
"Often people attempt to live life backwards - they try to have more things, or more money, in order to do more of what they want, to be happier.  The way it really works is in reverse.  First be who you really are, then do what you need, in order to have what you want."  Margaret Young

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 01:19:34 pm »
I have just posted Wizard's bramble liqueur recipe on the thread started by Sharon...

It is too early in my neck of the woods for brambles but I can't wait to try it!
Val

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 04:09:09 pm »
I have just posted Wizard's bramble liqueur recipe on the thread started by Sharon...

It is too early in my neck of the woods for brambles but I can't wait to try it!
Val
There's some in my garden - off to pick them now.

How's the new job going? ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS