Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Raw goats milk - Animal consumption  (Read 1836 times)

kirsteen151

• Joined Oct 2017
Raw goats milk - Animal consumption
« on: May 04, 2018, 07:40:27 am »
Morning all,

We have recently added dairy goats to our little small holding and we are getting a lot more milk than can be used/ frozen by a family 4. We currently don’t sell anything only have what we can use. I have been reading about raw goats milk and it being sold for pets/orphan lambs etc. Does anyone have any experience of doing this, that they can give me some advice?

Thanks in advance

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Raw goats milk - Animal consumption
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 10:03:24 pm »
Make cheese!

You can make a quick and easy cheese that can be used like halloumi :

- Heat milk to simmering point and hold there for an hour
- Take off heat, stir in white vinegar or lemon juice a tablespoonful at a time until the milk turns into curds and whey.
- Strain through a muslin, squeeze and form into a ball (or other shape / shapes, as you wish)

Feed the whey to pigs, use the cheese like halloumi.  Tastes great if dunked in olive oil and herbs, seasoned and fried :yum:

And it freezes too ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 12:04:33 pm »
I've seen a link to a Facebook group for just such a thing, sorry, can't remember the name of the group but worth searching for?

kirsteen151

• Joined Oct 2017
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 07:24:14 am »
Thank you I'll definitely try the cheese recipe and Ill have a look for the group on facebook  :)

Goatherd

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 04:29:23 am »

Ask if you can put a note on the board at your vets.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS