Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mink CAUGHT and sorted, thanks everyone  (Read 3821 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Mink CAUGHT and sorted, thanks everyone
« on: May 03, 2018, 09:15:12 pm »
Had recent visits of both, not happy! The mink nearly carried off one of the ducks. We don't have a dog - anything besides human presence they don't like?

Quite ironic, really, as we'd just discussed looking into getting in a ferretter (instead of poison) for rat control.... :tired:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 09:36:15 pm by northfifeduckling »

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Re: Mink and Weasel
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 11:27:10 pm »
Humane traps, electric fencing, someone with a guy, someone with terriers... they are so tenacious they will come back time and again 'i'm afraid :(

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Re: Mink - Anyone in north fife I could borrow a trap from?
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 02:20:08 pm »
down 5, it broke into the nesting boxes. 1 taken, 4 killed. It was around all morning, not the slightest bit of fear of humans. Looks so tame that I wondered if someone had gifted me a "farm rescue" mink. Unusally black without the white bib.

Amazon is a huge disappointment in what traps they sell on prime and of course it's a bank holiday as well for other retailers to send one fast . I might have no birds left after the weekend....
Could I borrow a trap from anyone near or even a terrier?

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: Mink Help, please - north Fife
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 08:11:18 pm »
I'm in Montrose and have traps and a rifle if you want it shot? I have fen traps and humane, cage traps. The fenn traps need to be set in tunnels. They are hellish powerful and I've not set any of them in years but could dig them out as sounds like an emergency. I've trapped female stoats in my little humane traps, they work for weasels, again, not sure if I even know where they are. My larger cage trap was good for anything from a ferret to cat, caught a few ferrets in it she time. It's pretty bog standard, think called a rabbit cage trap.

If there's no one closer, and you want me to come down to Fife, I'll have to see if I can get granny to look after my oldest and I'll need your help with my 18months old. Let me know as I was going to see a guy about some apple trees over the weekend. Are you far from the Tay bridge?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 09:08:02 pm »
Thank you so much, Steph, have pmd you  :bouquet:

Glencairn

• Joined Jun 2017
  • Dumfriesshire
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 07:16:41 pm »
I believe a live capture trap baited with some rotten fish and a rifle for after you've caught one is standard practice.

I saw one in in South Fife, it wasn't afraid of the dog!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Re: Mink CAUGHT Help, please - north Fife
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 08:01:20 pm »
I caught it within minutes in the live trap, now who do I call? SSPCA is useless, said it was legal to release and I know it's not, now my call is on file. I don't have a gun nor any other way to legallyand humanely dispatch it. Who do I call on a weekend?? Kepp feeding it until next week? Just great....

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: Mink CAUGHT Help still needed please - north Fife
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 08:32:43 pm »
Local game keeper, or farmer?
Thehuntingllife forum is full of bloodthirsty folk who might help you out so long as they can tell their mates they spent an hour cornering it.

If you're stuck I'll come, but it'll be Monday before I can make it.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 08:37:24 pm »
Or do this;
Copied from http://www.rsne.org.uk/sites/default/files/Grey%20Squirrel%20Trapping%20Guidelines.pdf
Place a Hessian sack tightly over the trap entrance taking care not to leave any gaps. Release the trap gate to allow the animal to move into the trap. At all times care should be taken not to handle the animal as there is a high risk of being scratched or bitten; thick leather work gloves will help avoid this.
? Once the squirrel has entered the sack, twist the sack closed to secure it.
? Ensure that the squirrel is facing into one of the corners and place your foot to the side of the
squirrel to hold it in position.
? Once the head is located, it is vital that the squirrel is killed as quickly and humanely as possible. Blows should be made to the back of the head with a solid implement such as a fishing priest. Place the sack on hard flat ground, a stone or tree stump to ensure the blow is effective.
? The dead grey squirrel should then be disposed of in a suitable manner such as burying onsite or incinerating.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 09:30:14 pm »
I'm always hesitant to bother the neighbours. It's been my last resort but it's the weekend and a bank holiday and evening....He did come and took it with him in exchange for a lousy bottle of hm apple cider. I'll now collect some numbers of gamekeepers, rangers, relevant council department, etc. should there be more where that one came from!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2018, 09:33:04 pm »
Or do this;
Blows should be made to the back of the head with a solid implement such as a fishing priest. Place the sack on hard flat ground, a stone or tree stump to ensure the blow is effective.

What on earth is a fishing priest??? It also might be hard to actually hit the head on a mink - it wouldn't keep still to wait it out...;)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Mink CAUGHT and sorted, thanks everyone
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2018, 11:12:54 pm »
What on earth is a fishing priest???

LOL. It's a small club type thing, so called because it's used to "give the fish its last rites".

It also might be hard to actually hit the head on a mink - it wouldn't keep still to wait it out... ;)

You'd need to encourage it out of the trap and into a sack. Then once it buries its head in one corner of the sack, you can smack it one with the priest.

TBH, with something as fierce as a mink, there's not going to be an easy option.  Do you know anybody with an air rifle? That would be my first choice for next time.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 11:14:31 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Re: Mink CAUGHT and sorted, thanks everyone
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 10:41:13 am »
I had the same problem. Used Glancairn's method. It worked with in a couple of days. I put the trap into a large piece of pipe and blocked one end off

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS