Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Recommend me a treadle feeder  (Read 5031 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Recommend me a treadle feeder
« on: May 01, 2018, 10:44:11 pm »
Hi folks,

So we were having a general review of the year and trying to figure out ways to improve things around here and also to cut costs. Mrs Womble pointed out that we must be feeding the local lardybirds (AKA sparrows and starlings) several sacks of layers pellets a year, so I'm thinking about buying a treadle feeder and a bird table. That way, we can feed the hens and peafowl on pellets, and the lardybirds on kitchen scraps (hopefully this has not yet been made illegal).

The thing is, there are several different designs / manufacturers out there, so can anybody recommend me a really good one, that 'just works'? It needs to hold at least 10kg of feed (a full sack would be even better), and to be made well enough to last a lifetime.

So, which design do you recommend?  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Recommend me a treadle feeder
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 11:19:22 pm »
We've just bought a Grandpa's feeder on the strength of recommendations here, and the info on their website and the excellent customer support they evidenced when I emailed for advice :). It's very robust - but too soon for me to say how well it works for us; the ducks are using it too, which we did not want in our situation, so we will have to address that through how and when we have it other than empty ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 10:43:44 am »
Hmmm, the Grandpa's feeders do look well made,

but  :o HOW MUCH!?!  :o

I'm starting to think I rather like having hundreds of sparrows around, after all!

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 10:52:13 am »
We went for one of these treadle feeders instead. No problems with it to date, after 3 yrs + use. And much cheaper

https://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/Galvanised_Treadle_Poultry_Feeder.html

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 10:53:29 am »
Yup, not cheap.  But hopefully will last for years and years.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 06:18:30 pm »
Does anyone use one of the Grandpas treadle feeders successfully with bantams? 
ie, will it open for a bantum weight?

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 09:10:41 am »
We've used a grandpa's feeder for a few years now, never had a problem with rats in the run and the chickens all use it with no issues. Great item and would buy another tomorrow if it was broken.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 11:50:39 am »
I've used a Grandpas treadle feeder for a couple of years and its been really easy. The chickens I had at the time took a while longer than I thought to get used to it but, having lost those to a fox, bought new chickens last weekend and they have already worked out what to do.

I have a friend with a cheaper treadle feeder and hers definitely isn't as good. Sometimes it gets stuck, which mine never has, and the magpies keep raiding it. Never seen a magpie using mine but then I think its heavier.

Maysie, I think there is something on the Grandpas feeder website about bantams. Perhaps you can set it to open at a lighter weight but then you might also get the magpie problem.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 02:15:09 pm »
^^^ Thank you! 

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 08:09:23 pm »

gilesm

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 07:20:14 pm »
We have the Grandpa feeder (it's great) and our bantams are fine with it.  You can adjust it, but I never have.

Also works fine for our guinea fowl and the local pheasants.

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 11:16:51 pm »
We recently bought two treadle feeders after suffering a lot of feed loss last winter.  We are currently going through the training schedule...

One feeder is for a small group of five ducks and five hens who share a run.  When we got to the half open stage, the clanking noise made by the treadle plate sent the hens running and they have not been near it since.

The other one is for a group of Cayuga ducks who stand well back and extend their necks to reach over the treadle plate to get the food.  Today I have put a piece of board on the plate to make it deeper (and therefore have had to add a weight to the lid to counterbalance) and await results.

We will persevere with both groups, meanwhile any tips from people who have been through the same process would be much appreciated.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 08:28:25 am »
No tips but we found our first lot,of hens took much longer to get used to the feeder than the instructions had said. I think it was about 4 weeks. We went through the noise making them run away but eventually they got it. It was never meant for our ducks but once they saw the chickens using it they followed suit.

Having lost both hens and duck to,the fox I started the whole process again recently with new hens. Bought them as pol which I suspected may have used a treadle feeder before. It only took a couple of days before thy were all proficient. So persevere.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

william_wt

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 09:51:50 am »
I stuck some duct tape onto the lid and the edge of the feeder so the bang from the closing lids is reduced, or at least less metallic
William

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 09:52:41 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement Bionic and william_wt.  Yes, I was thinking of a modification to muffle the sound - I will try that.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS