Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambs with brain damage  (Read 4270 times)

Lorenza

• Joined Feb 2016
Lambs with brain damage
« on: April 30, 2018, 02:46:46 pm »
Hi Guys. So I am in my third year of lambing. We Only sent 2 to the ram this year as we cut our numbers down

So our two have lambed with no troubles, should say they are shetlands. We had a wonderful, strong single yesterday morning. I went up this morning after having checked on them last night and the other ewe had lambed. The landlady who lives there said that everything was fine at 6 this morning but she saw one of my other ewes head butt my single lamb. When I got there I saw what I thought was a dead lamb. I rushed her straight to the vets where she was tube fed and given anti inflammatories and antibiotics. Her head and neck was spinning and her eyes were really twitching. Vet said it may be touch and go with her but may pull through. The brain may heal or she may have some permanent damage. For me, as long as she can have a decent quality of life, she can continue to live with our flock as we wont be sending things to the ram this year.

My question is, has anyone ever had the same sort of thing happen and the lamb pull through??

I have just tube fed her again and she has stopped spinning her head, her eyes are not twitching and ger suckle reflex is starting to return, not enough for a bottle though. She is also holding her head but still is keeping her eyes shut and cannot stand. She has passed urine as well  This is 4 hours after being seen by the vets. Is this some hope or just false hope??

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Lambs with brain damage
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 03:09:59 pm »
Sounds like there is some hope she may recover sufficiently to have a nice life.

I think I’d be inclined to set some deadlines to review against - standing or at least making partially successful efforts to do so by day 2, for instance.

And also think about yourself.  If you give it four or five days and then have to have her put to sleep, will you be able to cope with that?  If not, make tighter deadlines - and maybe discuss the realistic expectations with the vet again depending on where she is by close of play tomorrow. 

Have you thought about a companion for her if she does recover?  Or are you keeping her with her mum so you wouldn’t have to bottle rear her if she gets better quickly enough?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lorenza

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 04:02:07 pm »
Thank you for your reply. I will be setting deadlines and if 5 or 6 dayd down the line we have to PTS then I can cope with that (won't be my first animal ive nurtured and not been successful)

No we are not keeping her with her mother as she was trampling her and last year shr had a tendency to butt her lambs. I stayed for hours yesterday we wouldn't have a repeat of last year with her. But now it's another ewe causing the problems!!

I will get her a companion in a few days if things start to improve but for now I shall just focus on her. I have just been to her and her suckle reflex has got stronger again. I am now feeling a little hopeful, but I also know how quickly things can change. Thank you for replying and giving me some hope

Lorenza

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 08:49:21 pm »
Little lamb is now walking and taking a bottle. Still got tremors but considering it wasnt looking good, she couldn't open her eyes or lift her head, I'd consider this as excellent!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 11:55:35 pm »
Brilliant. Well done for giving her a chance :hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 08:25:07 pm »
That's really good news! Well done you. I hope she continues to improve.
4 pet sheep

charlie-ia

• Joined Aug 2018
  • Ireland
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 12:53:40 pm »
Just wondering how this story ended? Is the lamb OK?

Lorenza

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 07:57:51 am »
Hi, sorry I've just seen your reply.
Little lamb is still around, her mum took her back 2 days later. I took them lamb to the field for a run and she started suckling again from mum.
She definitely isn't right in the head and it has definitely had some impact. She was our first born lamb and the smallest by quite a long way, still only looking like a two week old. I dont hold much hope of her surviving the winter, but she can live out her days with us.

charlie-ia

• Joined Aug 2018
  • Ireland
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 11:00:51 am »
Ah, poor wee thing. Glad she's got a good home though

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS