Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fed up with dead twigs in plum trees  (Read 2683 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Fed up with dead twigs in plum trees
« on: August 16, 2010, 08:53:12 pm »
We inherited our plum trees when we bought our place last year. They haven;t been pruned for a good long while and the middle of the tree is full of dead looking twiggy bits so I took the clippers to them at the weekend and cut alot of them out. I didn't take any of the leafy bits - only the dead looking stuff.

I know summer isn't the ideal time to prune trees but it was the only time I could see which parts were alive and leafy and which parts were dead.

Will my plum trees survive?

Susanna
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
Re: Fed up with dead twigs in plum trees
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 09:19:08 pm »
Summer is the correct time to prune plums as they can get silverleaf disease if pruned in winter. If the centre is overcrowded maybe you should have pruned out more.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 06:53:12 pm »
Oh great. Thanks. I seem to have lost the pot of Arbrex which I bought to paint on the bigger pruning "cuts"

Yes - there's still a bit to do but we need to get the ladder sorted out and I'm worried about going up the ladder when I am at at the house on my own. Paul has been in Spain working for that past couple of weekends so I've just done the stuff that I can reach and plan to finish the job once he is back and we can get the ladder sorted out.

Glad I'm n the right track. I'll keep plugging away.

Will it matter about the Arbrex or is it worth having a good look for it?

Thanks

Susanna
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 10:42:25 pm »
Arbrex or other paint is not needed on any size of cut - I think has long since ceased to be recommended as it did not do anything to prevent infection. Ensure the cuts are as clean as possible - sharp tools and using loppers or saw for bigger branches, sloping cut to avoid water staying on it, and disinfecting tools regularly eg with rag and disinfectant. Do not prune too near to the adjacent branch or you will damage the branch collar and impair the healing (but not too far or you leave a stub which can more likely get infected) For the bigger branches cut above the place you want to prune first as the weight of the branch can cause the bark on the underside to tear back, and then cut the short remaining stub off at the correct point.
I do not know the best place on the internet about pruning but maybe the RHS has info and pictures which probably show things better :) Simon

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS