Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dispatching Bantams  (Read 9869 times)

beany

• Joined Apr 2010
Re: Dispatching Bantams
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 12:31:50 pm »
I bought one of the dispatchers and they are very good for those of us who don't want to go down the real hands on route.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 12:53:10 pm »
you don't get lots of meat but if you have few to do then you get a reasonablr amout. crossed bantams have more meat on them than some pure breed large fowls. ake realy nice meat loaf with a bit of bacon and so sage and onion.

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 12:55:08 pm »
broomstick method works well imo

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 05:40:01 pm »
Hi buffy no problem I'm sorry I didn't check first myself. I've been scared to do things for all the same reasons as you but this really really opened my eyes. I still feel very guilty that I let them go like that tbh. My dad used to dress poultry years ago so he's said he'll help and I've used the broomstick method on a sick hen so I know I can do it just have to get up the courage to get on with it now. 

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 06:46:15 pm »
have you tried the axe its messy but quick.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2010, 08:08:20 am »
No only ever tried the broomstick. Didn't do the deed this weekend my dad wasn't able to come up to help me. I'm sure the neighbours must hate me as he (the chosen 1 for pot) is getting really noisy. I might just get on and do it. Is it right that you should do it in the morning as the crop is empty? 

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 11:38:40 am »
what are you planning on doing with him if just using legs a breast meat it does not matter. you dont need to gut them. you really dont want the crop full as there is a good chance of it bursting and it would then take ages to clean it up. when you cut the bottom out tie it off with some string it helps stop leakage.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 08:17:08 am »
Hi Paul. I'd planned to roast him actually. Someone told me you should starve them for 18 hrs first. Do you do that?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 10:06:30 am »
no i would just not feed them over night. do the deed first thing in the morning. that way the overs routine won't be to disturbed.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2010, 06:17:05 pm »
Ok thanks

confused

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 09:30:05 pm »
You're absolutely right confused. I have to say it's actually made me face up to the fact that if I hatch eggs I have to take responsibility for dispatching the cockerels. I did actually keep 3 1 cause I wanted to keep him and 2 cause they were limping a bit so thought they'd be difficult to rehome.. Anyway I've decided that 1 is for the pot this weekend. It'll be difficult to do it I'm sure but I'm sure the chicken will taste nice and at least I will be sure he had a brilliant life and his end will be swift and painless.

Good on you , you will never look back.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2010, 05:44:10 pm »
Thanks tomorrow is D day ...

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2010, 07:04:11 pm »
its not nice but its one of the things that just have to be done. i would give up on animals if i did not feel slightly bad over its death.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2010, 07:03:45 am »
Well I thanked god for it's life and our soon tone dinner and did the deed. Not pleasant but I did it. Used the broomstick method and did it again and took head off. I really can't be sure if they're dead until it is cause of all the twitching. I did it he twitched then stopped before his head detached so I thought I'd done it then he started again so I just pulled harder. Sorry for being graphic but does anyone else find it difficult to know it's done and you can stop without actually decapitating? I might just get a dispatcher!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2010, 01:44:02 pm »
yes. i have a wife and daughter highly trained in heart monitering. a clue is if you pull the head off and you dont get blood squirts you have done the deed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS