Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rabbit skins  (Read 12368 times)

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Rabbit skins
« on: September 08, 2008, 01:37:11 pm »
Not wanting to sound macarb, but how do you process rabbit skin once it is dried?

Continuing my need to waste nothing, I have washed and dried out the pelt, but now need to know how to make it soft to process further.

Any advice greatfully recieved.  John suggested chewing it - sick that man of mine! - does he think I am an Eskimo!!

Kate  :-\
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Rabbit skins
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 01:42:48 pm »
Depends how you 'processed' it and what you want it for.

When my cat brings back rabbits, I peel them, cook the carcase to make meals for the dogs and cats, and put the skin fur side down in a basin then cover with salt and leave for a few days.  I don't wash the fur as that can harden it.  I then wrap the skin round a canvas dummy for retrieve training.
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 07:36:18 pm »
i would say dry it via salting it (curing).

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 10:58:39 pm »
I did put salt on it and it is hard and stiff now.  Is it possible to make it nice and soft now? A suede sort of texture? I have a friend who thought she might sew it - make it into a purse or something.

Kate  ???

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 03:41:50 pm »
mmmmmmmmmmm if only my Nan and Granddad Where still around, I would be able to ask them (they where fur machinest/fur cutter in their time)

If you going to salt them i would imagine you would need to get it in shape first. I have a go a good old googling.
Linz

um not sure if this is any good for you http://msucares.com/livestock/small_animal/slaughter.html
I'll have a look in my  books later to see if they say anything.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 03:46:17 pm by Fluffywelshsheep »

rustyme

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 04:08:17 pm »
hello,
     salting skins of any sort is a temporary way of stopping them from rotting till you can actually cure them .There are a few web sites that cover different ways of curing skins, I have only just got in , but will have a search as soon as I am in some dry clothes.....got soaked again. Just did a quick google and found this one ... looks like a good one too. It is a pdf so will need to be downloaded and saved.  

http://www.cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/_l/l-103.html

Hope it helps ...cheers

Russ

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 11:23:46 pm »
Thank you so much.  Now I know the terminology it makes it easier to google.  I will let you know how I get on.

How is it going Russ? I have been off line for a while, so have missed you !  I just knew you would respond to this one - you are always up for the challenge!

Kate  ;)

rustyme

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 12:22:49 am »
hello Kate,
          yes , exactly , once you know what things are called it is very easy to find out all the info. That is one of the great things about pc's and the WWW . Other than that I hate them ... lol.
    Things are going fine thanks , hope they are with you too, glad to see you back online again .It has been so very wet here, that , what I thought was going to be a good year for growing , has turned out to be a total wash out. Oh well , thats life , lets hope it is a better year next year !!!
      I have cured rabbit skins before , years ago , along with sheep skins a couple of calf skins and even a badger skin (road kill) , and a fox skin , god they stink .....But I can never remember all the ins and outs of doing it . So thought it better to pop a link up , would need one myself now. The thing I can remember about doing them is once cured you have to work them a lot , to make them supple , otherwise they turn into something like cardboard.  Good luck with them and let us know how it all goes .....
cheers for now ...Russ

Approval for handling skins

Started by fsmnutter

Replies: 8
Views: 2237
Last post December 30, 2014, 12:29:13 pm
by JFisherGreenlea

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2020. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS